1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angular acceleration for this prob

1. Nov 19, 2004 #1
    A rotating wheel requires 3.00s to rotate 37.0 revolutions. Its angular velocity at the end of the 3.00-s interval is 98.0rad/s. What is the constant angular acceleration of the wheel?

What i did was i used average w=delta(theta)/delta time. Then i used average w=radical(w^2+wo^2) to find wo. Then i plugged it all into w=wo+alpha(t) and i got alpha=12.67. The answer is suppose to be 13.7rad/s^2. Can someone help me on this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2
    There is a single formula, incorporating all the elements you are given: wf, t, theta, alpha. Find that, and just sub in values.
  4. Nov 20, 2004 #3
    What is the formula? The ones I have all have "wi" in it and I'm not sure I calculated that correctly.
  5. Nov 20, 2004 #4
    Here's how you calculate the initial angular velocity.

Since angular acceleration is constant:
    [tex]\frac{\Delta\theta}{\Delta t}=\omega_{av}=\frac{\omega+\omega_{0}}{2}[/tex]
    Since one revolution is [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians,
    [tex]2\times\frac{37\times 2\pi}{3 s}-98.0\frac{rad}{s}=\omega_{0}[/tex]

Now use [tex]\omega=\omega_{0}+\alpha\Delta t[/tex]
  6. Nov 20, 2004 #5
    That method works, as does using: theta = (wf)t - .5*alpha*t^2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?