What is the angular velocity of the merry-go-round now?

In summary, a 4.3 m diameter merry-go-round with an angular velocity of 0.78 rad/s and a moment of inertia of 1760 kg m^2 has four people with a mass of 67 kg each step onto the edge. The new angular velocity is 0.46 rad/s. If the people were initially on the merry-go-round and then jumped off in a radial direction, the new angular velocity would be 1.3 rad/s.
AlvinC

Homework Statement

A 4.3 m diameter merry-go-round is rotating freely with an angular velocity of 0.78 rad/s. Its total moment of inertia is 1760 kg m^2. Four people standing on the ground, each of mass 67 kg, suddenly step onto the edge of the merry-go-round.

1)What is the angular velocity of the merry-go-round now?

2)What if the people were on it initially and then jumped off in a radial direction (relative to the merry-go-round)?

Homework Equations

I_i*w_i=I_f*w_f

w_f=(I_i/I_f)*w_i

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1 I plugged the numbers in and got 0.46 rad/s.
w_f=(1760/(1760+4*67*2.15^2)*.78 =0.46 rad/s

For question 2 since the people were on it initially i made I_f in my previous question to I_i and I_i to I_f. So it looked something like this:
w_f=(2998.83/1760)*.78 = 1.3 rad/s which was wrong. Not sure what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AlvinC said:
For question 2 since the people were on it initially i made I_f in my previous question to I_i and I_i to I_f. So it looked something like this:
w_f=(2998.83/1760)*.78 = 1.3 rad/s which was wrong. Not sure what I did wrong.

i also get same answer

you sure that wi in second case is .78 and not .56 like we found in second case ?

Oh yess! I forgot to make .46 as my new initial angular velocity. Much Thanks!

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning.

2. How is angular velocity measured?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s). It can also be measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or revolutions per second (RPS).

3. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed point, while linear velocity refers to the movement of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in terms of angles, while linear velocity is measured in terms of distance traveled.

4. How does the angular velocity of a merry-go-round change over time?

The angular velocity of a merry-go-round can change over time due to factors such as friction, external forces, and changes in the mass distribution of the riders. It may also change if the merry-go-round is accelerating or decelerating.

5. How can angular velocity be calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the circular path, or by multiplying the angular acceleration by the time.