Arc Length of y = x^3/6 + 1/2x on [1/2, 2]

In summary: Your function is x^3/6+ x^{-1}/2. The derivative is x^2/2- x^{-2}/2. Notice that the exponents are 2 and -2. The square is x^4/4- 1/2+ x^{-4}/4. The "middle" term is a constant, because, of course, 2+ (-2)= 0. Now adding 1 gives x^4/4+ 1/2+ x^{-4}/4. Do you not see that this is exactly the same as the previous formula except that "-1/2" has become "+1/2"? Do you not see that this is
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of the graph, on the interval [1/2, 2], of

[itex]y = \frac{x^3}{6} + \frac{1}{2x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]s = \int^b_a \sqrt{1 + [f'(x)]^2}dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I began with [itex]s = \int_{1/2}^2 \sqrt{1 + (\frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{1}{2x^2})^2}dx[/itex]

and became stuck at the step [itex]s = \int_{1/2}^2 \sqrt{1/2 + \frac{x^4}{4} - \frac{1}{4x^4}}dx[/itex]

I can't a integration technique that would suffice in solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your expansion of the squared term under the square root. You have made an algebra mistake.
After that, add up the fractions under the square root after getting a common denominator. Plug and chug.

I redid the work, and came up with [itex]\frac{x^4}{2} +\frac{1}{2x^4} +\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Is there some way of factoring this?

Nope, not in this form. Like I said, find a common denominator and add these three fractions together.

Okay, I found a common denominator, and then placed the new expression under the square symbol:

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3x^4 + 2}}{2x^2}[/itex] Is there where you wanted me to lead to?

Bashyboy said:
I redid the work, and came up with [itex]\frac{x^4}{2} +\frac{1}{2x^4} +\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Is there some way of factoring this?

Try again to expand and simplify the expression

[itex] 1 +(\frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{1}{2x^2})^2[/itex]

ehild

ehild, if you could please look at post #6 and see if I correctly simplified the expression.

Bashyboy said:
ehild, if you could please look at post #6 and see if I correctly simplified the expression.

It is wrong, that was I asked you to re-do it.

ehild

Bashyboy said:
Okay, I found a common denominator, and then placed the new expression under the square symbol:

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3x^4 + 2}}{2x^2}[/itex] Is there where you wanted me to lead to?

Hint: your integral is difficult, but the correct integral is easy.

(a - b)^2 = a^2 - 2ab + b^2

One of the things teachers work hard on is setting up problems that are easy for their students.

Your function is [itex]x^3/6+ x^{-1}/2[/itex]. The derivative is [itex]x^2/2- x^{-2}/2[/itex]. Notice that the exponents are 2 and -2. The square is [itex]x^4/4- 1/2+ x^{-4}/4[/itex]. The "middle" term is a constant, because, of course, 2+ (-2)= 0. Now adding 1 gives [itex]x^4/4+ 1/2+ x^{-4}/4[/itex]. Do you not see that this is exactly the same as the previous formula except that "-1/2" has become "+1/2"? Do you not see that this is exactly "[itex](x^2/2+ x^{-2})^2[/itex]"?

HallsofIvy said:
Now adding 1 gives [itex]x^4/4+ 1/2+ x^{-4}/4[/itex]. Do you not see that this is exactly the same as the previous formula except that "-1/2" has become "+1/2"? Do you not see that this is exactly "[itex](x^2/2+ x^{-2})^2[/itex]"?

Not quite, [itex](x^2/2+ x^{-2}/2)^2[/itex] instead.

ehild

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of a curve?

The formula for finding the arc length of a curve is ∫sqrt(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the curve's equation.

2. How do you find the derivative of y = x^3/6 + 1/2x?

To find the derivative, you can use the power rule and the constant multiple rule. The derivative of y = x^3/6 + 1/2x is y' = 3x^2/6 + 1/2 = 1/2x^2 + 1/2.

3. What is the interval for the arc length of y = x^3/6 + 1/2x on [1/2, 2]?

The interval for the arc length is [1/2, 2]. This means that we are finding the arc length for the curve between the x-values of 1/2 and 2.

4. How do you evaluate the integral for finding the arc length?

To evaluate the integral, you can plug in the values for x from the given interval and solve the equation. For example, for the given curve, we would evaluate the integral ∫sqrt(1 + (1/2x^2 + 1/2)^2) dx from 1/2 to 2.

5. Can you use any other method to find the arc length of this curve?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the arc length formula for parametric curves or using numerical integration techniques like Simpson's rule or the Trapezoidal rule. However, for this specific curve, the integral method is the most straightforward and efficient.