1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding area

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    Find the area of the region bounded by the hyperbola [tex]9x^2-4y^2 = 36[/tex] and the line [tex]x = 3[/tex].

I'm thinking that I have to integrate for x, so I'll have the sum of twice the area from [tex]2[/tex] to [tex]3[/tex].
    The function will be [tex] + \sqrt {\frac {9x^2-36}{4}}[/tex]

hence, the integral will be[tex] 2\int_2^3 {\sqrt {\frac {9x^2-36}{4}}}dx [/tex]
    I just wanted to know if my reasoning is right

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks right to me. Go ahead with it.

4. Oct 23, 2004 #3
    when I integrate [tex]\int \sqrt {\frac {9x^2-36}{4}}dx[/tex] I get as an answer [tex]\frac {3}{2} x{\sqrt {x^2-4}} - 6 ln({\frac {x}{2}}+\frac{\sqrt {x^2-4}}{2})[/tex] however maple gives me [tex]\frac {3}{2} x{\sqrt {x^2-4}} - 6 ln(x+\sqrt {x^2-4})[/tex]

I used [tex]x=2sec(\theta)[/tex] hence [tex]\frac {x}{2}=sec(\theta)[/tex] so [tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-4}}{2}[/tex]

which I substituted into [tex]6(sec(\theta)tan(\theta)-ln(sec(\theta)+tan(\theta)))[/tex]

I know its Saturday night and any help will greatly be appreciated

Thanks

5. Oct 23, 2004 #4
    Weird, overall it gives the same answer, 4.2878 sq units, in both maple and on paper, however I don't understand how maple takes the 1/2 out of the ln.

6. Oct 23, 2004 #5
    Ok, I quadrupled checked my integral and it is right, it seems that even though maple does not display the 1/2 it still accounts for it.

7. Oct 24, 2004 #6
    i'm not sure but i don't think that the 1/2 over the guys inside the natural log have any impact on a definite integratl. combining the two you would get that sum of the numerators over 2. which would be the natural log of the top minus ln 2 -- which being a constant wouldn't be affected by variables.

why it's there, i'm clueless. the only thing i could think of is the values determined by the trig functions of theta, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    er edit: maybe maple simplified it out as it can be included in C indefinintly , and is extraneous in the case of a definant integral

i quickly worked out the same answer you had, i haven't ever used maple so i don't know.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  8. Oct 24, 2004 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The only difference between

[tex]ln({\frac {x}{2}}+\frac{\sqrt {x^2-4}}{2})[/tex]
    and
    [tex]ln({x+ \srt{x^2- 4})[/tex]
    is -ln(2) which is a constant.
    Anti-derivatives can have any constant added and, anyway, cancels when you evaluate at the limits of integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?