1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding asymptotes of |x|/x

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    List all the asymptotes of
    f(x) = |x| / x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a problem on a limits test in a Calculus AB class. I tried vertical asymptotes and horizontal asymptotes by setting the numerator and denominator equal to 0 but only getting x=0

|x|=0

x=0
    Unfortunately that wasn't the answer to the question, but I plugged the equation in the calculator and it did appear to have a vertical asymptote at x=0 and two horizontal asymptotes at x=1 and x=-1
    However I don't know how to find that algebraically.
    I did some research and saw an example where they found the limit of a function as it went to positive and negative infinity in order to find the asymptotes. I tried that:

lim |x|/x = 1
    x→∞

lim |x|/x = -1
    x→-∞

At the end of this I was left with
    x=0 (from my very first attempt)
    x=1
    x=-1

Questions
    1. Is setting finding the limit of the function as it goes to infinity a solid way of finding asymptotes?
    2. a. Is my final answer correct?
    b. If not, Could someone explain the mistakes/false-reasoning I made or lead me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't have a vertical asymptote at x=0. What are the limits from the right and left? And you are right about the behavior at infinity, but doesn't that make the asymptote lines y=1 and y=(-1) (not x=1 and x=(-1))?

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3
    There is no vertical asymptote at x=0 because
    the limit as x goes to 0 from the left is -1
    the limit as x goes to 0 from the right is 1
    Yes?

but there is two horizontal asymptotes at
    y=1
    y=-1
    because of the limit as x goes to ∞ and -∞?

Does everything look good now?

5. Jan 21, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Vertical asymptotes are where a one sided limit goes to infinity. Doesn't happen here.

6. Jan 21, 2014 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think I would trust that calculator.

The function here is simple enough that you can sketch a graph in about the same time it would take to enter it into the calculator.

f(x) = 1 if x > 0, and
    f(x) = -1 if x < 0
    It is undefined at x = 0 (jump discontinuity).
    The graph consists of two horizontal half-lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted