How to Calculate Average Acceleration with a Non-Straight Graph

In summary: Thank you all for your help!In summary, the average acceleration between t=0s and t=2s is -0.5 m/s^2. This can be calculated by finding the change in velocity over the change in time, or by finding the area under the velocity curve and dividing by the time interval.
Daizin

Homework Statement

Here's the graph:

http://i.imgur.com/uUXPO.jpg

What is the average acceleration between t=0s and t=2s?

Homework Equations

a avg = change in velocity / change in time ; (Vf-Vi)/(tf-ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve it if it was just a straight line where I could just plug in the numbers into the formula, but how do I calculate the average acceleration if the section above is non-straight? The part I don't get exactly is how to calculate the change in velocity itself since it's decreasing from 0s to 1s and then increasing from 1s to 2s.
As I understand the acceleration in this problem is the slope?
I tried calculating the slopes of those intervals separately and then adding them together and dividing by the change in time (2s), but I seem to be getting the wrong answer because my homework is online and it tells me if the answer plugged in is correct or not.

0s to 1s interval contains points (0,4) and (1,2) so the slope is -2
1s to 2s interval contains points (1,2) and (2,3) so the slope is 1
then (-2)+1/2= -0.5 m/s^2 even without dividing and ending up with answer 1, the avg acceleration is still incorrect

So since I am doing this completely wrong can somebody explain to me the whole concept, because for some reason I just don't seem to get it

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Daizin!

Daizin said:

Homework Statement

Here's the graph:

Homework Equations

I know how to solve it if it was just a straight line where I could just plug in the numbers into the formula, but how do I calculate the average acceleration if the section above is non-straight? The part I don't get exactly is how to calculate the change in velocity itself since it's decreasing from 0s to 1s and then increasing from 1s to 2s.
I tried calculating the slopes of those intervals separately and then adding them together and dividing by the change in time (2s), but I seem to be getting the wrong answer because my homework is online and it tells me if the answer plugged in is correct or not.

then (-2)+1/2= -0.5 m/s^2 even without dividing and ending up with answer 1, the avg acceleration is still incorrect

So since I am doing this completely wrong can somebody explain to me the whole concept, because for some reason I just don't seem to get it

That's the thing about an average: it doesn't take into account detailed information about what was going on over time intervals smaller than the interval you're averaging over (2 s). So really, all you do here is use the values of v and t at the two endpoints of the interval (t = 0 s and t = 2 s). These are the initial and final values. At the beginning of the interval, your velocity was +4 m/s, whereas at the end of the interval, it had decreased to +3 m/s, so on average, your acceleration during that time was some negative value (that you will compute) even though the details of what was happening during that interval are more complicated (you actually had positive instantaneous acceleration during parts of it).

Daizin said:

Homework Statement

Here's the graph:

Homework Equations

then ((-2)+1)/2= -0.5 m/s^2 even without dividing and ending up with answer 1, the avg acceleration is still incorrect

It's much easier to work on this with the image displayed directly here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=50856&stc=1&d=1347747644.jpg

It looks like using (Vf-Vi)/(tf-ti) gives -0.5 m/s2.

Averaging -2m/s2 and 1m/s2 also gives -0.5m/s2.

So, what's the problem?

Attachments

• uUXPO.jpg
    uUXPO.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
calculate the area under the curve and then divide by the time interval.

I get 12.5m as the area then dividing by 2 secs and the avg is ?

jedishrfu said:
calculate the area under the curve and then divide by the time interval.

I get 12.5m as the area then dividing by 2 secs and the avg is ?

That gives the average velocity.

The area under the velocity graph gives the displacement.

The displacement divided by elapsed time gives the average velocity.

so you're saying it should look like:
(3-4)/(2-0) and yes, it does end up as -0.5 (or -1/2) and that's how I initially solved the problem at the very start but when I plugged this answer into the webassign homework, it listed it as an incorrect one, which is why I started seeking for help and maybe other formulas for this problem.

Edit: nevermind I got it. Apparently I accidentally kept plugging in the answer into the wrong space which is why it kept telling me it was wrong (I know... I am so stupid) But hey, at least I am definitely sure about how to do all these now.

Daizin said:
so you're saying it should look like:
(3-4)/(2-0) and yes, it does end up as -0.5 (or -1/2) and that's how I initially solved the problem at the very start but when I plugged this answer into the webassign homework, it listed it as an incorrect one, which is why I started seeking for help and maybe other formulas for this problem.

Edit: nevermind I got it. Apparently I accidentally kept plugging in the answer into the wrong space which is why it kept telling me it was wrong (I know... I am so stupid) But hey, at least I am definitely sure about how to do all these now.

Glad that it worked out !

By the Way: Welcome to PF !

SammyS said:
That gives the average velocity.

The area under the velocity graph gives the displacement.

The displacement divided by elapsed time gives the average velocity.

oops misread the problem and gave avg vel not avg accel

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a period of time. It is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes in a given amount of time.

2. How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time

3. What are the units of average acceleration?

The units of average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system, or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

4. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the initial and final velocities, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the derivative of the velocity with respect to time.

5. What factors can affect average acceleration?

Average acceleration can be affected by the force acting on an object, the mass of the object, and any external factors such as friction. Additionally, changes in direction or velocity over time can also affect average acceleration.