Calculating Average Power for a Ski Lift

In summary, average power is the amount of energy used or transferred per unit time and is important for understanding energy usage and efficiency. It can be calculated by dividing total energy by time and is used in everyday situations and industries such as electricity. It differs from instantaneous power and can be affected by various factors that should be considered when calculating it.
GingerBread27
If a ski lift raises 100 passengers averaging 656 N in weight to a height of 145 m in 60 s, at constant speed, what average power is required of the force making the lift?

I know average power is P=W/t, where W is work and t is change in time. Since work is w=fd, I did 656 N*145 m and then took that number and multiplied it by 100 for the 100 passengers. I then took this product and divided it by the change in time, 60 seconds, and I got 158533 W for the average power, and it's wrong. Am I just misunderstanding the problem, or am I really doing this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think u r right! unless i missed the same thing u missed!

-- AI

lol well the answer is wrong so I don't know. :mad:

Last edited:
I even tried not multiplying by 100 and it's wrong :cry:

ok, here's what you do...
P=(F)(V)
P=(W)(V)
P=(100)(656)(145/60)
thats how i did it

Oh gosh I was doing that and I wound up putting 1585.33 instead of 158533 lol dumb mistake good thing I got it :) Thanks

What is average power and why is it important?

Average power is the amount of energy used or transferred per unit time. It is important because it helps us understand the rate at which energy is being used and can be used to calculate the cost or efficiency of a system.

How do you calculate average power?

Average power is calculated by dividing the total energy used or transferred by the amount of time it took to use or transfer that energy. The formula is P = E/t, where P is average power, E is energy, and t is time.

What are some real-world applications of average power?

Average power is used in many everyday situations, such as calculating the average power usage of a household or the average power output of a car engine. It is also important in industries such as electricity, where average power is used to determine the cost and efficiency of energy production.

How is average power different from instantaneous power?

Average power is the average amount of energy used or transferred over a period of time, while instantaneous power is the amount of energy being used or transferred at a specific moment in time. Average power takes into account the fluctuations in power usage, while instantaneous power only reflects the power usage at a single moment.

What factors can affect the calculation of average power?

The calculation of average power can be affected by various factors, such as the type and efficiency of the system being used, the duration of the time period being measured, and any external factors that may affect energy usage. It is important to consider these factors when calculating average power for accurate results.