1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Average Speed

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    I just wanted to know how to find average speed without knowing the distance. I know average speed is defined as total distance / change in time but what would you do
    a person travels to a friend's house and when he is halfway there, he figures out that he has been averaging 30 mph. He drives the last half of the trip at 60 mph.
    What is Joe’s average speed for the entire journey?

I figured it was just 30 + 60 divided by 2 but apparently i am wrong. anyone can help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2
    It is not quite that linear because you cover more per time going 60 miles per hour than 30 miles per hour.

We will use dimensional analysis just to make sure our operations are making sense.

60 (m/h) * x (h) + y (m/h) * x (h) = c miles

we also know that 30 (m/h) = c (m) / 2x (h)

so 2x (h) = c (m) / 30 (m/h)

So now you can solve for x, the c's will cancel out (cause it doesn't depend on the distance traveled), solve then for y, and you'll get the answer.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook