What is the Average Speed for a Car Trip with Different Constant Speeds?

In summary, the person traveled at different speeds (85.2 km/h, 91.1 km/h, and 43.1 km/h) for a total time of 93.6 min, but also spent 19.1 min eating and buying gas. To find the average speed, we must include the time spent at a speed of 0 km/h (19.2 min) and use the equation AvgSpeed=totaldistance/totaltime. After converting the total time to hours (1.56 hours), we divide the total distance (100.0165 km) by the total time and get an average speed of 64.11314103 km/h.
Ripcurl

Homework Statement

A person travels by car from one city to another with different constant speeds between a pair of cities. She drives for 30.3 min at 85.2 km/h, 14.4 min at 91.1 km/h, and 48.9 min at 43.1 km/h, and spends 19.1 min eating lunch and buying gas. The distance between the initial and final cities along this route is 100.0165 km. Find the average speed for the trip. Answer in units of km/h.

Homework Equations

AvgSpeed=totaldistance/totaltime

The Attempt at a Solution

I added up all of the times (30.3 min+14.4 min+48.9 min) and got 93.6 min. I converted this to hours by dividing by 60 and got 1.56 hours. Then I divided 100.0165 by 1.56 hours and got 64.11314103. (I use the whole solution. I don't round unless I have to.) It was incorrect. If average speed equals total distance over total time, then what did I do wrong? I know I don't use that 19.2 min because it's just extra time that was spent eating and buying gas. I don't need that. So what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the time spent getting gas (speed = 0). You'll have to include that

Ripcurl said:

Homework Statement

A person travels by car from one city to another with different constant speeds between a pair of cities. She drives for 30.3 min at 85.2 km/h, 14.4 min at 91.1 km/h, and 48.9 min at 43.1 km/h, and spends 19.1 min eating lunch and buying gas. The distance between the initial and final cities along this route is 100.0165 km. Find the average speed for the trip. Answer in units of km/h.

Homework Equations

AvgSpeed=totaldistance/totaltime

The Attempt at a Solution

I added up all of the times (30.3 min+14.4 min+48.9 min) and got 93.6 min. I converted this to hours by dividing by 60 and got 1.56 hours. Then I divided 100.0165 by 1.56 hours and got 64.11314103. (I use the whole solution. I don't round unless I have to.) It was incorrect. If average speed equals total distance over total time, then what did I do wrong? I know I don't use that 19.2 min because it's just extra time that was spent eating and buying gas. I don't need that. So what am I doing wrong?

you do need that, because during that time, the person traveled at a speed of zero.

Oh, wait, I see what you're saying. Hold on, I'll try it. One sec. :3

Yes, and he still spent an extra 19.2 mins on the trip. You can't just forget about that time.

Just think about running around your block. If you run at a constant speed of 10km/hr, your average speed is obviously, 20km/hr. But if you stop for 30 seconds to take a breath halfway through, your average speed goes down.

You must include the 19.2 mins

Alright, I got it! Thank you very much!

CaptainEvil said:
Just think about running around your block. If you run at a constant speed of 10km/hr, your average speed is obviously, 20km/hr.
That's not at all obvious!:wink:

lol my mistake. obv meant 10km/hr

Ha ha, I kinda did a double take when I saw that too, but I knew what you meant, obviously. :wink:

But I got the question right! Thanks again for the help! o:)

1. What is average speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time it took to travel that distance. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving on average.

2. How do you calculate average speed?

To calculate average speed, divide the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation: average speed = total distance ÷ total time.

3. What units are used to measure average speed?

Average speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

4. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall speed of an object over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account the entire journey, while instantaneous speed only considers a single point in time.

5. How can average speed be used in real life?

Average speed is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the fuel efficiency of a car, determining the average pace of a runner, or estimating the time it will take to travel a certain distance. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.