How Do You Calculate Average Velocity for a Two-Part Journey?

In summary: They are given the two stages and the average velocity. If they were to graph the average velocity on a Cartesian coordinate system, they would see that the average velocity points in the direction of the house. It might be more helpful to graph the displacement and time on a coordinate system to make this clearer.
stryker105

Homework Statement

Starting from the front door of your ranch house, you walk 55.0m due east to your windmill, and then you turn around and slowly walk 40.0m west to a bench where you sit and watch the sunrise. It takes you 25.0s to walk from your house to the windmill and then 47.0s to walk from the windmill to the bench.

For the entire trip from your front door to the bench, what is your average velocity?

Homework Equations

[itex]\upsilon[/itex]av-x=x2-x1/t2-t1=Δx/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

40.0m-55.0m/47.0s+25.0s = -0.208m/s

So I got the answer to this problem by adding the time instead of subtracting it. The program I'm using shows this answer is correct. Though, I'm wondering why adding the time together instead of subtracting it works instead of the other way around. Can someone help explain this to me? Thanks.

Likes amani
Physics news on Phys.org
stryker105 said:

Homework Statement

Starting from the front door of your ranch house, you walk 55.0m due east to your windmill, and then you turn around and slowly walk 40.0m west to a bench where you sit and watch the sunrise. It takes you 25.0s to walk from your house to the windmill and then 47.0s to walk from the windmill to the bench.

For the entire trip from your front door to the bench, what is your average velocity?

Homework Equations

So I got the answer to this problem by adding the time instead of subtracting it. The program I'm using shows this answer is correct. Though, I'm wondering why adding the time together instead of subtracting it works instead of the other way around. Can someone help explain this to me? Thanks.
##t_1## and ##t_2## represent the time (on a clock) at the initial and at the final positions. Their difference ## t_2 - t_1 = \Delta t## is the time it took for the entire motion.
This information is not given in the question. What they give is the time it takes for the two paths, so what they are giving is actually ##\Delta t_{first \, part} ## and ## \Delta t_{second \, part} ##. Since these are time intervals, you must add them to get the total time for the whole motion.

Likes 1 person
t2 is the time you are at the bench.
t1 is the time you start at ( call it 0).

So Δt=t2-t1=(47.0s+25.0s)-0s

stryker105 said:

Homework Equations

You are misunderstanding this equation:

x1 is the starting position; and x2 the final position.

t1 is the time at the start; and t2 is the time at the end.

It might help to think of this equation as:

[tex]v_{average} = (x_{final}-x_{start})/(t_{final}-t_{start})[/tex]

Also, for many problems, not all so be careful, you can choose t_start = 0. That's when you start the stopwatch. t_end is when you stop the stopwatch. And ##\Delta t## is what the stopwatch reads.

stryker105 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The route consist of two stages. You can consider the initial position at the house as xi=0 and the initial time Ti=0. First, you walk due East - your displacement is Δx1= 55 m, and the time is Δt1=25 s. Your position is x1=55 m with respect to the house. Then you turn back moving to west: your displacement is negative, Δx2=-40 m and it took the time Δt2=47 s. Your position is x2= Δx1+Δx2=55-40=15 m measured to East from the house. Your total displacement is Δx=15 m to East, and you walked for 47+25=71 s. The average velocity is Vav=Δx/Δt = (15-0)/71 , and it points to East.

ehild

Likes 1 person

1. What is the definition of average velocity?

The average velocity is the displacement of an object divided by the time it took to cover that displacement. It is a measure of the overall rate at which an object changes its position.

2. How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the total displacement and time, while instantaneous velocity only considers the velocity at a single point.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its original position. For example, if an object starts at a position of 10 meters and ends at a position of 5 meters, its average velocity would be -5 meters per second.

4. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took to travel that displacement. This can be represented by the formula: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time.

5. What are the units of average velocity?

The units of average velocity are distance divided by time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour. It is important to note the units when calculating average velocity to ensure consistency and accuracy.