1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Bases of Subspaces

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5586/screenshot20120121at328.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I propose the vectors [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] form a basis of V. To test for linear independence, let [itex]0 = a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3[/itex], where [itex]a \in R[/itex]. A polynomial is 0 iff all of its coefficients are zero. Thus, linear independence is proved. That is, [itex]a_1 = a_2 = a_3 = 0[/itex]

To prove that [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] spans V, let [itex]p(x) = b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3 \in V[/itex], where [itex]b \in R[/itex]. We need numbers [itex]c_1,c_2,c_3[/itex] such that [itex]b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3 = c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3[/itex]. This implies [itex]b_1 = c_1[/itex], [itex]b_2 = c_2[/itex], [itex]b_3 = c_3[/itex]. Thus, [itex]p(x) = c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3[/itex] and clearly [itex]p(0) = c_1 (0) + c_2 (0) + c_3 (0) = 0[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] span V.

Am I doing this right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2
    This is the second part of the question:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9069/screenshot20120121at350.png [Broken]

I began with [itex]\int \frac{d}{dx} p(x) dx = 0x + c_1[/itex], where [itex]c_1 \in R[/itex]. Thus, I reasoned that p(x) must be of the form: [itex]c_1 + 0(x) + 0(x^2) + 0(x^3)[/itex]. A polynomial is zero iff all of its coefficients are zero. [itex]c_1[/itex] must necessarily equal zero in order for the zero vector to result. Thus, linear independence is proven. To show that [itex]c_1[/itex] spans S, let [itex]p(x) = b_1 + 0(x) + 0(x^2) + 0(x^3) \in S[/itex], where [itex]b_1 \in R[/itex]. We need [itex]p(x) = b_1 = c_1[/itex]. This implies [itex]b_1 = c_1[/itex]. So [itex]p(x) = c_1[/itex] and clearly [itex]\frac{d}{dx} p(x) =\frac{d}{dx} c_1 = 0[/itex]. Thus, [itex]c_1[/itex] spans S.

Man, I don't think I'm doing these right....

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In the second part, you can't assume p(x) has the form ##b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3## right off, otherwise you're assuming what you're trying to prove. When you say ##p(x) \in V##, you know that p is a polynomial and that p(0)=0. From what you know about polynomials, you should be able deduce that p(x) has the form required, from which it follows that p(x) is in the span of {x, x2, x3}.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4
    Okay. Can I assume that p(x) has the form [itex]b_0 +b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3[/itex]? But, clearly p(0) cannot equal zero unless [itex]b_0 = 0[/itex], which immediately gets us to the required form.

Is that better?

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's fine. Because you know V is a subspace of P3 and presumably you know that {1, x, x2, x3} is a basis for P3, you can write p(x) in that form.

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6
    This is the last problem. I need only find a basis.

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/7183/screenshot20120121at517.png [Broken]

I propose that the vectors [itex]1,x^2[/itex] form a basis for W. To prove linear independence, we write, [itex]0 = a_0 + a_2 x^2[/itex] where [itex]a \in R[/itex]. A polynomial is zero iff all coefficients equal zero. To prove that [itex]1,x^2[/itex] span W let [itex]p(x) = b_0 + b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3[/itex], but [itex] b_1 = b_3 = 0[/itex] otherwise condition fails. We need numbers [itex]c_0, c_2[/itex] such that [itex]b_0 +b_2 x^2 = c_0 +c_2 x^2[/itex]. This implies that [itex]b_0 = c_0[/itex] and [itex]b_2 = c_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]p(x) = c_0 + c_2 x^2[/itex] in which case [itex]\forall x[/itex] [itex]p(x) = p(-x)[/itex], as desired. Thus [itex]1,x^2[/itex] form a basis for W.

8. Jan 21, 2012 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should go into more detail about why you must have b1=b3=0.

This part is unnecessary. After you show that b1=b3=0, you know that p(x)=b0+b2x2. Since it's a linear combination of 1 and x2, it's in the span of {1, x2}.

9. Jan 21, 2012 #8
    Should I say something like:

If [itex]p(x) = p(-x)[/itex] then it follows that all of the n-degree components of p(x) should be equal to their respective n-degree components of p(-x). However, clearly this can't be so since x ≠ -x (in the first degree) and (x)3 ≠ (-x)3 (in the third degree). Thus, in order to preserve the equality of the condition, it is necessary to zero these terms.

?

10. Jan 21, 2012 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You made a slight error. You showed that p(x)∈S has the form p(x)=c1. The basis vector is 1, not c1, i.e. p(x) = c11. You want to show the vector 1 spans S, not c1 as you said.

Since you've already shown that p(x)∈S implies p(x)=c1=c11, you're done because you've shown that p(x) can be written as a linear combination of the set of vectors {1}.

11. Jan 21, 2012 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It would be more straightforward to let ##p(x) = b_0 + b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3## and calculate g(x)=p(x)-p(-x). Then show that g(x)=0 implies b1=b3=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook