Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding basis probelm

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S be the form of (a, b,c ,d )in R4, given a not equal to 0. Find the basis that is subset of S.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got a(1,0,0,0), b(0,1,0,0), c(0,0,1,0), d(0,0,0,1) as basis. a not = 0
    But i wasn't sure what the significances of a not = to 0 means

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It means find four elements of R4 that are linearly independent and all of whose first components are non-zero. That would comprise such a basis.

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

However, the set of all (a, b, c, d) in R4 such that [itex]a\ne 0[/itex] is NOT a subspace and so does NOT have a basis. Are you sure you have read the problem correctly?

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm thinking the OP may have the problem stated correctly since he/she calls S a set. They just seek a basis for R4 choosing only from that set.

6. Dec 13, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Ah! You are right. I misread it. The problem is NOT to find a basis for S but to find a basis for R4 such that the first component of each basis vector is not 0.
    I would be inclined to take the "standard" basis and change the first component of each to a simple non-zero number. Then check to see if they are still independent.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook