1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Bearings

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    Hey,
    I am studying for a test and i am having trouble with this problem. I have attached a photo of the worked solution. For the first part of the triangle (ABD) I understand everything except how they got the bearing AD. How do you find this bearing from the angle BAD.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know the angle ABD, and angle BAD has just been calculated. Angle ADC follows from these by a bit of basic geometry.

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your help, but i'm still wondering how to find the bearing AD which is (208°00'20"). I found the angle for BDA (120°31'21") do i need to do something with that to find bearing AD, im still confused.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, so angle ADC is 180 minus that. You now have the bearing of DC and the angle ADC, so it's easy to deduce bearing DA. Just add/subtract 180 for AD.

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5
    I looked over it again and that didn't really work out. So angle ADC is 180 minus 120°31'21" . This equals 59°28'39" you said this would equal the bearing DC, however the bearing DC is already given in the question which is 87°29'. I dont know what i did wrong.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I did not say that. I listed what you would know after you had worked out the angle ADC: the angle ADC and the bearing of DC. From those you can compute the bearing of DA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted