Finding Buried Electrical Wire - Don in Hendersonville

• Thread starter DonL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary: If it's less than a foot deep, you may be able to follow the wire with a metal detector. Otherwise, you'll need to use a more sophisticated locator.In summary, the wizard Don is trying to reuse a 300 foot length of dead electrical wire that was once used to energize a submersible pump for a mobile home water supply. He is unsure of the location of either end of the wire, but is hopeful that someone here can help him find it. He is also looking into using ground penetrating radar or a metal detector to find the wire. Jeff suggests using a locator instrument, such as a stanlay, and suggests looking for the wire on aerial photography or satellite pictures
DonL
Good evening all you wizards,

How would I locate each end of a buried electrical line? It was disconnected some 15 years ago, used to energize a submersible pump for a house water supply. It is probably 300 feet in length...I would guess it would be a 10-3 or 8-3 awg wire? I know the general area where the ends "might" be. Neither end is connected to anything...just buried in the ground. I hope I've explained my situation properly.

I've read a few threads here...this is a very intelligent group!

Thanks a bunch. I look forward to your answers.

Don
Hendersonville, NC

Engineering news on Phys.org
See if your local 'big box' store has a tracer instrument rental. If it's dead and several feet underground you will need some expensive equipment to find it without digging.

Thanks for the suggestion, nsa. As that length of wire will be expensive, I am being a cheapskate in an attempt to reuse the wire that's already there.

Again, I appreciate your response.

It must have connected something to something else at one time..
That would be the place to to start digging.

You will need to find one end in order to use any type of locator. In the past I have used an RF signal generator tuned to some place quiet in the commercial AM band. I hooked the end of the buried wire to the output of the signal generator and used a small handheld AM receiver to find the route of the cable. Adjust the output of the generator low enough so it is easier to pinpoint the location.

You might try a metal detector. They are only good to about ½ a meter depth, so you would likely need to find the ends near the surface rather than the length of the wire.

Ground penetrating radar would likely work, but that seems excessive somehow.

rootone said:
It must have connected something to something else at one time..
That would be the place to to start digging.

Yes, Rootone, it was previously used to power a submersible pump for a mobile home water supply. The home was taken off the property but the wires were not marked. I have a general idea of where to start digging, though.

Averagesupernova said:
You will need to find one end in order to use any type of locator. In the past I have used an RF signal generator tuned to some place quiet in the commercial AM band. I hooked the end of the buried wire to the output of the signal generator and used a small handheld AM receiver to find the route of the cable. Adjust the output of the generator low enough so it is easier to pinpoint the location.

Good morning 'Nova,

I'm pretty certain I can find at least one end of the wire. I will research your solution and see what I can figure out. I am a mechanically inclined person, but will have to study up on the terms and equipment you mentioned. Thank you much for taking the time to reply.
Don

Jeff Rosenbury said:
You might try a metal detector. They are only good to about ½ a meter depth, so you would likely need to find the ends near the surface rather than the length of the wire.

Ground penetrating radar would likely work, but that seems excessive somehow.

Good morning Jeff,

Great idea. I'm almost certain the ends of the wire are shallow enough to use a metal detector.

I appreciate the helpful info!

Great group here!

Again, my thanks.

Don

There are underground utility locators that work on induction, if you know pretty close to where the wire may be.
I think the company that makes the one we have is stanlay. It is a two part tool, with a signal generator and a "wand" to follow
the wire. They work pretty well. I would see if you could find one end, and maybe ask an electrician with one of these to trace it out for
you for a nominal fee, or rent one.

Vegetation is often reduced in the year that a cable goes into the ground. There may then be better growth during the next few years due to the soil disturbance. Those effects show up on aerial photography or satellite pictures. Sometimes the soil disturbance will show up many years later because of an unusual drought. Google Earth and wind back the time. Go to the archives and see what you can find. There may also be aerial photography runs across the area that show the location of the original structures at the ends of the wire.

Depending on the depth of the trench and the soil profile, you may only need to remove the surface soil to see a change in soil that resulted from the original disturbance. Dig a shallow archaeological test trench across the cable's probable path. Identify and then follow the disturbance indicators.

Likes billy_joule and Jeff Rosenbury
Baluncore said:
Vegetation is often reduced in the year that a cable goes into the ground. There may then be better growth during the next few years due to the soil disturbance. Those effects show up on aerial photography or satellite pictures. Sometimes the soil disturbance will show up many years later because of an unusual drought. Google Earth and wind back the time. Go to the archives and see what you can find. There may also be aerial photography runs across the area that show the location of the original structures at the ends of the wire.

Depending on the depth of the trench and the soil profile, you may only need to remove the surface soil to see a change in soil that resulted from the original disturbance. Dig a shallow archaeological test trench across the cable's probable path. Identify and then follow the disturbance indicators.
A good idea. It might not work, but it's cheap.

Be careful with digging though. It's easy to nick a cable with a shovel.

1. How do I locate buried electrical wires?

To locate buried electrical wires, you can use a wire tracer or underground cable locator. These devices will send a signal through the wire, allowing you to trace its path and locate its exact location.

2. Can I use a metal detector to find buried electrical wires?

No, metal detectors are not designed to locate electrical wires. They work by detecting metal objects, but many electrical wires are made of non-metallic materials.

3. Is it safe to dig near buried electrical wires?

No, it is not safe to dig near buried electrical wires without first locating and marking their exact location. Hitting an electrical wire while digging can be dangerous and may cause damage to the wire or injury to yourself.

4. How deep are electrical wires typically buried?

Electrical wires are typically buried at a depth of 18-24 inches, but this can vary depending on the location and type of wire. In some cases, wires may be buried deeper to protect them from damage.

5. What should I do if I find a buried electrical wire?

If you find a buried electrical wire, do not touch or disturb it. Contact a licensed electrician to safely handle the situation. If the wire is damaged or exposed, stay away from it and contact your local utility company for assistance.