Exploring Ultrarelativistic Particles in 3-D Cubic Boxes

In summary, we discussed the permitted energy values for a massless particle in a 3-dimensional cubic box, expressed in terms of quantum numbers n_{x}, n_{y}, and n_{z}. We also looked at the lowest two energy levels and their degeneracy, and wrote down an expression for the canonical partition function and determined the energy and heat capacity at low temperatures. The final expressions for U and C_V were derived using a different approach suggested by another student.
PerUlven
The given problem:
The permitted energy values for a massless (or ultrarelativistic) particle (kinetic energy much larger than rest energy) in a 3-dimensional cubic box of volume V = L^3, can be expressed in terms of quantum numbers [itex]n_{x}[/itex], [itex]n_{y}[/itex] and [itex]n_{z}[/itex]:

[itex]\epsilon = \frac{hc\sqrt{n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2}}{2L}[/itex],
where n[itex]_{x}[/itex], n[itex]_{y}[/itex] and n[itex]_{z}[/itex] must be positive integers.

a) What are the lowest two energy levels for this system and their degeneracy?

b) Write down an expression for the canonical partition function [itex]Z_1[\itex] for 1 particle at low temperature

c) Determine the energy U and heat capacity [itex]C_V[\itex] in the limit of low T.

Relevant equations
b) This is the equation I've been trying to use for Z:
[itex]Z = \sum_i e^{-\frac{\epsilon_i}{kT}}[/itex]

c) The "shortcut formula" [itex]U = -\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta}\ln Z[/itex], where [itex]\beta = 1/kT[/itex],
and [itex]C_V = \left ( \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right )_{N,V}[/itex]

Attempt at a solution
a) [itex]\epsilon_1 = \frac{hc\sqrt{3}}{2L}[/itex], not degenerate ([itex]d = 1[/itex])
[itex]\epsilon_2 = \frac{hc\sqrt{6}}{2L}[/itex], thrice degenerate [itex]d = 3[/itex]

b) [itex]Z_1 = e^{-\frac{\epsilon_1}{kT}} = e^{-\frac{\sqrt{3}hc}{2LkT}}[/itex]

Could anyone tell me if is correct? b) doesn't seem correct to me, since they're asking us to sketch U(T) and Cv(T) at low T and comment on the temperature dependence later in the task, seing as neither of them depend on T...

Physics news on Phys.org

I tried another approach after some hint from another student, setting [itex]\epsilon_1' = 0[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_2' = \epsilon_2 - \epsilon_1[/itex]. Then the temperature dependence doesn't disappear when I derivate to find U and Cv, but the expressions doesn't look very nice. This is part 1 of a problem, so I really think the answers should "look better".

This is what I get then:
[itex]
U = \frac{\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3}}{\exp\left(\beta\frac{(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3})hc}{2L}\right) + 1}\left(\frac{hc}{2L}\right)
[/itex]
[itex]
C_V = \left(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3}\right)^2\left(\frac{hc}{2L}\right)^2 \frac{\exp\left(\frac{(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3})hc}{2LkT}\right)} {kT^3\left(\exp\left(\frac{(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3})hc}{2LkT}\right) + 1\right)^2}
[/itex]

1) What are ultrarelativistic particles?

Ultrarelativistic particles are particles that travel at speeds close to the speed of light, meaning they have a high energy and momentum.

2) Why are 3-D cubic boxes used in this exploration?

3-D cubic boxes are used because they provide a simple and uniform environment for studying the behavior of ultrarelativistic particles. This allows for easier analysis and comparison of results.

3) What techniques are used to explore these particles in 3-D cubic boxes?

The most commonly used technique is computer simulations, where the behavior of particles is modeled using mathematical equations. Other techniques include particle accelerators and detectors.

4) What can we learn from studying ultrarelativistic particles in 3-D cubic boxes?

Studying these particles can help us understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as the laws of motion and energy. It can also provide insights into the behavior of matter at extreme speeds and energies, which has applications in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics.

5) Are there any practical applications for this research?

Yes, there are many practical applications for understanding ultrarelativistic particles. For example, this research can help us develop better technologies for energy production and medical imaging, as well as improve our understanding of the universe and its origins.