1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding canonical partition function and U when permitted E-levels are given (3d box)

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    The given problem:
    The permitted energy values for a massless (or ultrarelativistic) particle (kinetic energy much larger than rest energy) in a 3-dimensional cubic box of volume V = L^3, can be expressed in terms of quantum numbers [itex]n_{x}[/itex], [itex]n_{y}[/itex] and [itex]n_{z}[/itex]:

[itex]\epsilon = \frac{hc\sqrt{n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2}}{2L}[/itex],
    where n[itex]_{x}[/itex], n[itex]_{y}[/itex] and n[itex]_{z}[/itex] must be positive integers.

a) What are the lowest two energy levels for this system and their degeneracy?

b) Write down an expression for the canonical partition function [itex]Z_1[\itex] for 1 particle at low temperature

c) Determine the energy U and heat capacity [itex]C_V[\itex] in the limit of low T.

Relevant equations
    b) This is the equation I've been trying to use for Z:
    [itex]Z = \sum_i e^{-\frac{\epsilon_i}{kT}}[/itex]

c) The "shortcut formula" [itex]U = -\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta}\ln Z[/itex], where [itex]\beta = 1/kT[/itex],
    and [itex]C_V = \left ( \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right )_{N,V}[/itex]

Attempt at a solution
    a) [itex]\epsilon_1 = \frac{hc\sqrt{3}}{2L}[/itex], not degenerate ([itex]d = 1[/itex])
    [itex]\epsilon_2 = \frac{hc\sqrt{6}}{2L}[/itex], thrice degenerate [itex]d = 3[/itex]

b) [itex]Z_1 = e^{-\frac{\epsilon_1}{kT}} = e^{-\frac{\sqrt{3}hc}{2LkT}}[/itex]

Could anyone tell me if is correct? b) doesn't seem correct to me, since they're asking us to sketch U(T) and Cv(T) at low T and comment on the temperature dependence later in the task, seing as neither of them depend on T...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    Re: Finding canonical partition function and U when permitted E-levels are given (3d

I tried another approach after some hint from another student, setting [itex]\epsilon_1' = 0[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_2' = \epsilon_2 - \epsilon_1[/itex]. Then the temperature dependence doesn't disappear when I derivate to find U and Cv, but the expressions doesn't look very nice. This is part 1 of a problem, so I really think the answers should "look better".

This is what I get then:
    [itex]
    U = \frac{\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3}}{\exp\left(\beta\frac{(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3})hc}{2L}\right) + 1}\left(\frac{hc}{2L}\right)
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    C_V = \left(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3}\right)^2\left(\frac{hc}{2L}\right)^2 \frac{\exp\left(\frac{(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3})hc}{2LkT}\right)} {kT^3\left(\exp\left(\frac{(\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{3})hc}{2LkT}\right) + 1\right)^2}
    [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook