Calculating Capacitance: Irms and Angular Frequency Data Analysis for Homework

In summary: If Vpp = 10 V then:Vrms = Vpp/(2*sqrt(2)) = 3.536 VC = |Irms|/(2*pi*f*|Vrms|) = 112.5 nF ≈ 0.1 uFfor f = 100 Hz.
k31453

Homework Statement

This is my data of Irms and angular frequency, and I have to plot the graph and teacher told me that the gradient will be capacitor's capacitance?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Did do anything wrong?

Attachments

• sdfdsfsfd.png
    sdfdsfsfd.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 445
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
k31453 said:
This is my data of Irms and angular frequency, and I have to plot the graph and teacher told me that the gradient will be capacitor's capacitance?
Hi k31353. [Broken]

Have you worked out the value of the capacitance? (Can I presume that is the aim of the exercise?)

How many μF is it?

The general equation for a straight line is y=mx+c where m is the slope and c is a constant.

I suggest writing the equivalent equation for your experiment.

Is the slope C or 1/C or something else?

CWatters said:
The general equation for a straight line is y=mx+c where m is the slope and c is a constant.

I suggest writing the equivalent equation for your experiment.

Is the slope C or 1/C or something else?
Slope is C but how do i prove that the slope represents the capcitance of capacitor.
yes and the value is 0.1 uF

k31453 said:
Slope is C but how do i prove that the slope represents the capcitance of capacitor.
The slope is not exactly = C. The voltage you are applying must come into the equation somewhere, since if the voltage you are using is greater, the current must be greater.

Can you quote an equation relating all of those quantities, C, ω, I and V? That is what you need to examine to see what you are dealing with.

This information will be useful.

k31453 said:

I asked because you plotted ω against I rather than I against ω. Perhaps I was awake too late last night but...

The imp of a capacitor is

Z = V/I = 1/jωC

rearrange to give ω in terms of I...

I/V = jωC

ω = I/(VjC)

ω = (1/VjC) I

which is now in the form

y = mx + constant

So is the slope m = C? 1/C ? or something else?

Ok this is my circuit

[Broken]

Now and this are the data.

[Broken]

Then this is the question :
From the slope of the graph verify the value of the capacitor ? (Hint: if the system is sinusoidal AC, then I RMS = angular frequency(omega) * C * V RMS). Does it agree with the measure value? If not, why not?

So this is my answer :

[Broken]

So my capacitor answer is way different than it should be.

So this is the problem

What does it say on your capacitor? Include any and all markings.

milesyoung said:
What does it say on your capacitor? Include any and all markings.

Nothing actually that's all I've got

Do you have a picture of it?

Ah doh, I missed an error of yours:

Vrms = Vpp/(2*sqrt(2))

The peak-to-peak amplitude Vpp is 2*Vp where Vp is the peak amplitude.

milesyoung said:
Ah doh, I missed an error of yours:

Vrms = Vpp/(2*sqrt(2))

The peak-to-peak amplitude Vpp is 2*Vp where Vp is the peak amplitude.[/QUOTE
I don't get that part

Your table indicates at 1kHz and with a voltage of 7V the unknown capacitor drew 2.28mA.

Let's compare that with what a known capacitor would do. A capacitor of 0.1μF, at 1kHz and an applied voltage of 7V, would draw 4.4μA.

Big difference. :eek:

I wonder was your ammeter scale really μA where you recorded mA?

Isnt it if u want to get rms u just divide by squareroot of 2??

NascentOxygen said:
Your table indicates at 1kHz and with a voltage of 7V the unknown capacitor drew 2.28mA.

Let's compare that with what a known capacitor would do. A capacitor of 0.1μF, at 1kHz and an applied voltage of 7V, would draw 4.4μA.

I recorded ma.

NascentOxygen said:

His readings are fine, he just didn't calculate the RMS voltage correctly.

If Vpp = 10 V then:

Vrms = Vpp/(2*sqrt(2)) = 3.536 V
C = |Irms|/(2*pi*f*|Vrms|) = 112.5 nF ≈ 0.1 uF

for f = 100 Hz.

milesyoung said:
Have a look at the figure included under 'Root mean square amplitude' here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplitude

Vrms = Vp/sqrt(2)
Vpp = 2*Vp

Ahhhh gotchya..
U earn yourself a fortune cookie...
Thanks

NascentOxygen said:

Let's compare that with what a known capacitor would do. A capacitor of 0.1μF, at 1kHz and an applied voltage of 7V, would draw[strike] 4.4μA.[/strike] EDIT: 4.4mA
No, I really do make it 4.4mA, so your figures are of the right order, just a factor of 2 difference. That factor of 2 might be accounted by that voltage conversion error milesyoung pointed out.

I agree. I checked the data for...

8V pk-pk, 1KHz, I=1.8mA

Vrms = 4/0.707 = 2.83 Vrms (eg not 5.65 Vrms)

C = Irms/(Vrms * 2∏f)
= 1.8 * 10-3/(2.83 * 2 * ∏ * 1000)
= 0.101 * 10-6F

Within 1% of 0.1uF

CWatters said:
I agree. I checked the data for...

8V pk-pk, 1KHz, I=1.8mA

Vrms = 4/0.707 = 2.83 Vrms (eg not 5.65 Vrms)

C = Irms/(Vrms * 2∏f)
= 1.8 * 10-3/(2.83 * 2 * ∏ * 1000)
= 0.101 * 10-6F

Within 1% of 0.1uF

NascentOxygen said:
No, I really do make it 4.4mA, so your figures are of the right order, just a factor of 2 difference. That factor of 2 might be accounted by that voltage conversion error milesyoung pointed out.

[Broken]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d4x57necbe96lz/IMAG0301.jpg

So my calculation shows me 0.1UF but my graph slope shows me 0.649 F capacitor magntiude.

So From the slope of the graph verify the value of the capacitor ? . Does it agree with the measure value? If not, why not?

so it doesn't verify the value right !?? because the two answer are not same.

But what is the reason. because the graph should give me the capacitor value because c = q/ v

isnt it?

The slope of your I vs. V plot is I/V and this is not equal to C. In the text by CWatters which you quoted it is explained how to calculate C.

Besides, I/V has units of Ohms-1, so it could not ever equal a capacitance. (Examining the units of quantities on both sides is a handy technique you can use for confirming that equations you remember only vaguely may be correct.)

Q is not the symbol for current.

NascentOxygen said:
The slope of your I vs. V plot is I/V and this is not equal to C. In the text by CWatters which you quoted it is explained how to calculate C.

Besides, I/V has units of Ohms-1, so it could not ever equal a capacitance. (Examining the units of quantities on both sides is a handy technique you can use for confirming that equations you remember only vaguely may be correct.)

Q is not the symbol for current.

Is it i m stupid or my professor because he wants us to draw Irms vs Vrms which is ridiculous because I is dependent variable so why he wants me draw on x-axis ??

Then 2) i am doing another circuit which involves find capacitor from slop now they want me to plot graph Irms Vs angular frequency.. but it should be vice versa.

3) I have to identify low pass or high pass filter based on graph.

So they want me to plot Gain(db) vs frequency.. which should be vise versa as well.

I mean why they want me do like that??

k31453 said:
Is it i m stupid or my professor because he wants us to draw Irms vs Vrms which is ridiculous because I is dependent variable so why he wants me draw on x-axis ??
I vs. V is okay. You vary V and plot the changing I. Sounds fine by me.

Then 2) i am doing another circuit which involves find capacitor from slop now they want me to plot graph Irms Vs angular frequency.. but it should be vice versa.
I vs. ω is correct. ω is the independent variable, so it's plotted on the horizontal axis.

:smile:

NascentOxygen said:
I vs. V is okay. You vary V and plot the changing I. Sounds fine by me.

I vs. ω is correct. ω is the independent variable, so it's plotted on the horizontal axis.

:smile:

exactly so am i stupid or is it trick question ? now as above post v/i slope represents resistor.
Now how the hell i can find resistor / impedendence of the circuit where only C is given.

C = I / (ω V)

C = ( I / V ) / ω

NascentOxygen said:

whats your point ?

You know the magnitude of the voltage and current are related by:
V/I = 1/(ω*C) ⇔ I = (C*ω)*V + 0 = (C*V)*ω + 0

Doesn't that look similar to the form of your line fit: y = a*x + b?

k31453 said:
Now how the *beep* i can find resistor / impedendence of the circuit where only C is given.
What is the magnitude of the impedance in terms of V and I?

Neither.

Start from...

Z = 1/jwC = V/I

then rearrage it to be the same form as y = mx + c. You can do that two ways depending on which you want on the y axis...

1) With V on the y axis...

V = (1/jωC) I

In which case the slope is = 1/jωC

2) With I on the y axis..

I = (jωC) V

In which case the slope is = jωC

Note that both cases the slope can be used to calculate C but in neither case is the slope exactly = C.

PS: You could always plot I vs jωV. The the slope would be C.

Last edited:

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F) and is represented by the symbol C.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the amount of charge stored on an object by the voltage across the object. This can be represented by the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

3. What is Irms?

Irms, or root mean square current, is a measure of the average current in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It takes into account the varying amplitude of the current over time and is used to calculate the power dissipated in the circuit.

4. What is angular frequency?

Angular frequency, represented by the symbol ω, is a measure of how quickly an object is moving in a circular motion. In the context of calculating capacitance, it is used to represent the frequency of an AC current.

5. How do I analyze data for calculating capacitance?

To analyze data for calculating capacitance, you will need to plot a graph of Irms versus angular frequency. The slope of this graph will be equal to the capacitance of the circuit. You can also use this graph to determine the frequency at which the circuit reaches its maximum power dissipation.