Car Speed After 200m: 31.3m/s

• Thread starter vaironl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, a race car starting from rest accelerates uniformly at a rate of 4.90m/s^{2}. Using the kinematic formula v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo), the car's speed after traveling 200m is 44.3m/s.
vaironl

Homework Statement

A race car starting from rest accelerates uniformly at a rate of [itex]4.90m/s^{2}[/itex] . What is the car's speed after it has traveled 200m?

Homework Equations

Δv = [itex]\frac{Change in position}{change in time}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

v=[itex]\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}[/itex]

=31.3m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
vaironl said:

Homework Statement

A race car starting from rest accelerates uniformly at a rate of [itex]4.90m/s^{2}[/itex] . What is the car's speed after it has traveled 200m?

Homework Equations

Δv = [itex]\frac{Change in position}{change in time}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

v=[itex]\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}[/itex]

=31.3m/s
Show your work so that we can help you see where your error is.

How did you get [itex]v=\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}\,?[/itex]

What kinematic formula are you using? It looks like you've missed out a constant.

SammyS said:
Show your work so that we can help you see where your error is.

How did you get [itex]v=\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}\,?[/itex]

gneill said:
What kinematic formula are you using? It looks like you've missed out a constant.

Well I'm required to find the speed after 200 meters, but I was never given any time.

So I assume... Which is not a good thing to do, multiplying the acceleration * the distanced travel would give me the speed.

But I really can't remember the actual equation.

vaironl said:
Well I'm required to find the speed after 200 meters, but I was never given any time.

So I assume... Which is not a good thing to do, multiplying the acceleration * the distanced travel would give me the speed.

But I really can't remember the actual equation.

If you can't remember you should check your notes or textbook! Your formula is close to being a valid kinematic expression,... but it's missing a constant. Do you have a list of the common kinematic expressions?

gneill said:
If you can't remember you should check your notes or textbook! Your formula is close to being a valid kinematic expression,... but it's missing a constant. Do you have a list of the common kinematic expressions?

I have the textbook, and I did have an example sheet but my friend borrowed to check her work. I found this expression which seems to satisfy my problem, v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)

Therefore V2= 0m/s + 2(4.90m/s^2)(200m)

v2= 9.8m/s^2(200m)
v2= 1960m^2/s^2
v=[itex]\sqrt{1960m^2/s^2}[/itex]
v= 44.3m/s

vaironl said:
I have the textbook, and I did have an example sheet but my friend borrowed to check her work. I found this expression which seems to satisfy my problem, v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)

Therefore V2= 0m/s + 2(4.90m/s^2)(200m)

v2= 9.8m/s^2(200m)
v2= 1960m^2/s^2
v=[itex]\sqrt{1960m^2/s^2}[/itex]
v= 44.3m/s

That looks better :smile:

1. How is car speed measured?

The speed of a car is usually measured using a device called a speedometer, which calculates the speed based on the rotation of the car's wheels.

2. Why is the speed of the car given in meters per second (m/s)?

Meters per second is a standard unit of measurement for speed in the International System of Units (SI). It is used in scientific calculations and provides a more precise measurement compared to other units such as miles per hour.

3. What does the value of 31.3 m/s after 200m mean?

This means that after the car has traveled a distance of 200 meters, its speed is 31.3 meters per second. This is equivalent to approximately 70 miles per hour.

4. How accurate is this measurement?

The accuracy of the measurement can depend on various factors such as the calibration of the speedometer, road conditions, and the precision of the distance traveled. Generally, modern speedometers are accurate to within 1-2% of the true speed.

5. Can the speed of a car change after 200m?

Yes, the speed of a car can change after 200m depending on various factors such as acceleration, braking, and road conditions. The given measurement of 31.3 m/s is only a snapshot of the car's speed at a specific point in time, and it can vary before and after the 200m mark.