1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding center and radius

1. Jul 27, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    how do I find the center and radius from these equations? The 2 equations represent 2 different circles, by the way. I need to draw 2 circles.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What have you tried so far? Those equations don't mean a thing to me, but you DO have to show some effort on your own before (or in addition to) asking for help.

4. Jul 27, 2014 #3
    The equations are actually equations of power transmission and power reception circle diagram.
    I am sorry for not having an attempt but I am stuck here.

5. Jul 27, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume that the "[itex]P_S+ jQ_S[/itex]" and "[itex]P_R+ jQ_R[/itex]" on the left of those two equations are the complex variable "z" that is to be graphed.

An equation of the form "[itex]z= Ae^{j\theta}[/itex]", with A a real number and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], is a circle with center at 0 and radius A. An equation of the form "itex]z= B+ A{j\theta}" is a circle with center at the complex number B and radius A.

Of course, as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], [itex]\theta- \pi/2[/itex] goes from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] but the graph still covers the circle, just "starting" at a different point. The first circle has center at the point [itex]j(0.81)E_R^2/X[/itex] in the complex plane, which is [itex](0, 0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex], and radius [itex]0.9E_R^2/X[/itex]. The second has center at [itex](0, -0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex] and the same radius.

6. Jul 27, 2014 #5
    How do you get [itex](0, -0.81E_R^2/X)[/itex] for the second circle? Shouldn't it be ##(0,-E_R^2/X)##? I forgot to mention that ##P_S##+##jQ_S## are indeed a complex number in the form Z= X+iY because P is the real power while Q is the reactive power.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  7. Jul 28, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You know that you *must* show your work in your posts of schoolwork questions here. Check your PMs.

8. Jul 28, 2014 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread is closed. MissP.25_5 is on a temporary vacation from the PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook