1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding center of mass of a picture

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    hey everyone, im stumped as to finding the x and y coords of the center of mass of this picture. it is supposed to be a uniform sheet of steel in increments of 6. please help, i have an exam tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2
    What exactly is the centre of mass?

Once you have the answer, you can "decompose" it into two components, x and y. So you'd basilcally find the centre line along x, then along y, and your centre point would be the intersection of the two.

4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    i'm still stumped heh

5. Nov 13, 2005 #4
    Find the CoM in each direction seperately. Meaning stack all the blocks so that you only have one direction to deal with at a time. For example, imagine a figure with 3m on the left column, 2m in the middle column, and 1m on the right column (where m is the mass of one block). then find the center of mass of those 3 blocks, this corresponds to the CoM in the x direction. Do something similar for the y direction.

6. Nov 13, 2005 #5
    The centre of mass is a point around which all the mass is symmetrically arranged.

Take the x direction for example. For what value of x would the mass be symmetrically distributed, i.e. you have the same mass to the right and to the left of your x value?

Note that if you balance your plate on a knife edge placed at that x, the plate would be in equilibrium.

7. Nov 13, 2005 #6
    i got it, thanks. answer is (7,8) btw

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?