1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Center of Mass

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    A thin rectangular plate of uniform areal density σ = 3.13 kg/m2 has length of 44.0 cm and width of 26.0 cm. The lower left hand corner is located at the origin, (x,y)= (0,0) and the length is along the x-axis.
    There is a circular hole of radius 7.00 cm with center at (x,y) = (16.00,11.00) cm in the plate

Calculate the x-coordinate of CM of the plate.!?
    Calculate the distance of the plate's CM from the origin.!?

for some odd reason i can figure out any other problem but this one if someone could help me out that would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2
    do you have to calculate it?
    you can hang it from two or more points to find the CM :-)

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    yes i have to calculate it i dont even know where to start

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Find the position vectors of the CM of rectangular plate and removed circular disc.
    Let M be the mass of plate and m be the mass of the disc.
    Position vector R1 of M = (022i + 0.13j). Mass M = σ*A. where A is the area of the plate
    Position vector R2 of m = (0.16i + 0.11j) Mass n = σ*a ,where a is the area of the removed circular disc.
    Then the position vector of CM of the remaining mass of the rectangular plate is
    R = (M*R1 - m*R2)/(M - m)

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5
    If you know the moment of inertia at any two points, can you use the principal axis theorem to triangulate the CM?
    Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook