1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Centroid of Region

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the centroid of the region bounded by the curve x=5-y2 and x=0.

Answer is (2,0).

2. Relevant equations

A = ∫[f(x)-g(x)]dx a->b
    xbar = 1/A ∫ x[f(x)-g(x)]dx from a->b
    ybar = 1/A ∫ 1/2[f(x)2-g(x)2]dx

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the graph is a sideway parabola with vertex at (5,0) and bounded at x=0, this means that the graph is symmetrical above and below the x-axis so y value of centroid is 0.

For the x value of the centroid. I don't know if I should be integrating from 0->5? or integrating from the y intercepts -√5 -> √5.

In addition, I was always told it's the upper graph - lower graph. Because this is kind of a sideway graph, would I subtract parabola from line (5-y^2 - 0) or line from parabola (0-5-y^2)?

If anyone could help me understand setting the bounds, that would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have to use thin vertical strips whose width is Δx, which means you'll be integrating with respect to x. The limits of integration will necessarily be 0 and 5.
    The typical "mass" element is a thin vertical strip whose height is the y-value on the upper part of the parabola - the y-value on the lower part. The width is Δx. As a shortcut, the integrand could be two time the upper half y-value - 0. You also need the lever arm for each "mass" element, which in this case will be x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook