1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Cluster Points

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the cluster points of the subset of R given by {1/n + 1/m : n, m are positive integers}.

Relevant equations
    Let S be a subset of a metric space E. Then p in E is a cluster point of S if any open ball with center p contains infinitely many points of S.

The attempt at a solution
    Let S = {1/n + 1/m : n, m are positive integers}. Since 0 ≤ 1/n + 1/m ≤ 2, S is a subset of [0,2]. If p is a cluster point of S, it must be contained in [0,2]. I'm pretty sure that [0,2] is the set of all cluster points of S, but I'm having a hard time proving this. In particular, I'm having a hard time finding points of the form 1/n + 1/m around p contained in [0,2]:

Suppose p is in [0,2]. Pick any open ball around p, say (p - r, p + r). If p < 2, how would I find a point of the form 1/n + 1/m greater than p but less than min{p+r, 2}?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't. Consider this, if e>0 then (e,2] contains only finitely many points of S. Doesn't it?

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    I pondered about the possibility of not being able to find such a point. Does that mean that the cluster points of S are all in S?

5. Oct 5, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think S has very many cluster points. And I don't think 'they' are in S.

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5
    I think the cluster points of S are those of the form 1/n, where n is a positive integer. What do you think?

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I think you are right. But you are missing a cluster point that isn't in S.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  8. Oct 6, 2008 #7
    Are you talking about 0?

9. Oct 6, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

None other.

10. Oct 9, 2008 #9
    I'm stuck trying to prove there are no other cluster points: Suppose p in [0,2], where p is nonzero and not of the form 1/n. Suppose p < 1. Then we can find integers m, n such that 1/m + 1/n < p < 1/m + 1/(n-1). I'm unable to show that there are no points in S between 1/m + 1/n and 1/m + 1/(n-1). How would I do this? And is this the right approach?

11. Oct 9, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not hard. The proof is just a little slippery to phrase clearly. If p>0 is a cluster point then there are integer sequences ai and bi such that 1/ai+1/bi=pi->p. Let's also assume that all of pi are distinct. Let Mi=max(ai,bi) and mi=min(ai,bi). So 1/Mi+1/mi=pi->p and Mi>mi. Can Mi be bounded? Why not? Can mi be unbounded? Why not?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  12. Oct 9, 2008 #11
    If Mi and mi are both unbounded, then 1/Mi + 1/mi -> 0 ≠ p right? Hence, one of them must be bounded. You indirectly stated that Mi is unbounded and mi is bounded. I can't think of a reason why. But the conclusion will be that p = 1/n for some n right?

13. Oct 9, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If mi<=Mi<=N then there are only a finite different number of pi values. I used that p is a cluster point to make sure the sequence has an infinite number. The conclusion will be p=1/n, correct. But you aren't quite there yet. Now what would happen if mi were unbounded?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  14. Oct 9, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sort of right. If Mi=(1,2,1,3,1,4,...) and mi=(2,1,3,1,4,1,...) the limit is 1 but both are unbounded. That's what I meant by the proof being slippery and that's why I did the max, min thing.

15. Oct 9, 2008 #14
    If Mi is bounded, then Mi <= N for some N and since mi <= Mi, mi must also be bounded. But as you stated, there will only be a finitely many pi values and hence p will turn out to be one of these pi. Right?

16. Oct 9, 2008 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. We picked the sequence so that all of the pi were distinct so there are an infinite number. Hence Mi is NOT bounded. Pick a subsequence where Mi is increasing. Now you've already given the correct reason why mi is bounded (otherwise the limit is zero). That means 1/Mi->0 and 1/mi has only a finite collection of values. Since the sequence converges it must settle down to one of them. That's your 1/n.

17. Oct 10, 2008 #16
    OK. I get it now. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?