Finding coefficient of friction and the mass

In summary, Ben pushes a box along a floor against a constant force of friction. The force of friction decreases the faster the acceleration is. The equation used to find the coefficient of friction is ma=uk*mg.
perez1028

Homework Statement

Ben pushes a box along a floor against a constant force of friction. When Ben pushes with a horizontal force of 75N the acceleration of the box is 0.5 m/s/s; when he increases the force to 81N the acceleration is 0.75m/s/s.

Homework Equations

Find the mass of the box and the coefficient of friction between the box and the floor.

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the formula ma = uk*mg and that allows to cancel out mass and get a/g = uk
with that i get .051 but i really don't think that is right I am not really sure where the 2 different accelerations and forces come into play...

Physics news on Phys.org
perez1028 said:

Homework Statement

Ben pushes a box along a floor against a constant force of friction. When Ben pushes with a horizontal force of 75N the acceleration of the box is 0.5 m/s/s; when he increases the force to 81N the acceleration is 0.75m/s/s.

Homework Equations

Find the mass of the box and the coefficient of friction between the box and the floor.

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the formula ma = uk*mg and that allows to cancel out mass and get a/g = uk
with that i get .051 but i really don't think that is right I am not really sure where the 2 different accelerations and forces come into play...

Welcome to PF.

You are pushing with a constant force. Where does that force go to?

Write an equation for how the 75N is used up.

well not really sure what your saying by that but with uk*F = m i can get the mass but I am really not sure how to use the 75N to first get uk or the mass... that's what I am missing

So we know that Fnetmanet.

If the horizontal force is F' and the force of friction is F, then the net force is given by

Fnet=F'-F
so that manet=F'-F

In the question you are given that the horizontal force is 75N and the net acceleration is 0.5ms-2. You can now form one equation. Use the other information given to form the other equation.

You will now have two equations in m and F, solve for the two of them. You can now get the coefficient of friction.

yea thanks that is the basic step for the formula with that i was able to get :

m*a = F - Ff
F(75) - Ff = m*a(.5)
F(81) - Ff = m*a(.75)

so from there: (using Ff)

m*a(.5) + F(75) = F(81) + m*a(.75)

that really dosn't seem to fit a lot of the formulas make sense to me but i just feel like I am missing something!

perez1028 said:
yea thanks that is the basic step for the formula with that i was able to get :

m*a = F - Ff
F(75) - Ff = m*a(.5)...1
F(81) - Ff = m*a(.75)...2

so from there: (using Ff)

m*a(.5) + F(75) = F(81) + m*a(.75)

that really dosn't seem to fit a lot of the formulas make sense to me but i just feel like I am missing something!
F(75)=75,F(81)=81, a(0.5)=0.5, a(.75)=0.75

Subtracting 1 from 2

F(81)-F(75)=ma(0.75)-m(0.5)
=> 81-75=0.75m-0.5m

Solve for m

yay dumb algebra on my part! the coefficient of friction is no problem...surprisingly =)

thanks to u who are spending their time helpin so much, personaly i get most of it i just need a few points in the right direction!

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is a measure of the resistance to motion that is present when two objects are in contact.

2. How do you find the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be found by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface and dividing it by the weight of the object.

3. What are the units for coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction does not have any units since it is a ratio of two forces. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is often measured in decimal form.

4. Why is it important to know the coefficient of friction?

Knowing the coefficient of friction between two surfaces is important for understanding the amount of force needed to move an object across a surface. It is also useful in designing structures and machines to ensure they have enough friction to function properly.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the coefficient of friction?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the coefficient of friction. However, a heavier object may experience more friction due to its weight, which can increase the normal force and thus increase the overall coefficient of friction.