1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding coefficients

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find coefficients ##b_n##
    [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{t^n}{n!}b_n=e^{\frac{4at}{3}}e^{-\frac{t^2}{3}}[/tex]
    a is constant.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]e^x=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here
    [tex]e^{\frac{t}{3}(4a-t)}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{( \frac{t}{3}(4a-t))^n}{n!}[/tex]
    I tried to use this. But I did not succeed to find given coefficients.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

This has to be true for all t, no? So that means you can let t be anything you want. If the coefficients are constants (not functions of t), there should obviously be no dependence on t. 0 comes to mind, but upon inspection, doesn't seem that useful. 1, however... This is assuming b_n = constant. If that's not the case, this doesn't work so well. Considering the language they use is "coefficient", my guess is that it's only a function of n.

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will be messy, but in principle it is do-able: just expand ##(4a-t)^n## using the binomial expansion, so that
    [tex] \frac{1}{n!} \left( \frac{1}{3}t (4a-t) \right)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n {n \choose k} (-1)^k \frac{(4a)^{n-k}}{n!\: 3^n} t^{n+k} = \sum_{k=0}^n c_{n,k} x^{n+k} .[/tex]
    For given ##N## the coefficient of ##x^N## is given by summing all the ##c_{n,k}## for which ##n+k=N##.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted