1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding concavity

1. Apr 19, 2004 #1
    calculus problem

I am given this problem to do but I'm not absolutely sure how to get through it. The way I would do is to find y' in terms of x's and y's and then plugin the point (1,2) and then take the derivative again and see if y'' is positve (curve up) or negative (curve down). Is this the best way to go about this problem or is it completely wrong or what?
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2004 #2
    Yes. Concavity is determined by the second derivative.

So implicitly differentiate twice and get an expression for d^2y/dx^2 in terms of x and y. Then plug in (1,2).

And whatever you do, ignore that ugly-looking expression for y(x)! That will make your life very, very, very miserable.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  4. Apr 19, 2004 #3
    I calculated the first derivative and got 15x^(2)y+5x^(3)y'-3y^(2)-6xyy'+3y^(2)y'=0. is this correct and if so, what do i do after this? express in terms of y'?
  5. Apr 19, 2004 #4
    Yes. Now solve for y' and then differentiate again. Then solve for y'' and substitute away any y' you see. Then just plug in values.

6. Apr 19, 2004 #5
    Thanks! I got it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?