Finding conventional current

• Thread starter laser123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, a rectangular loop with dimensions 15 cm by 2 cm and resistance of 0.8 ohms moves at a constant speed of 5 m/s through a uniform magnetic field of 1.7 tesla. The conventional current in the loop is unknown and it is possible that there is a magnetic force on the loop, but the net force is zero. The magnitude of the magnetic force on the loop is also unknown.
laser123
Pull a rectangular loop through a magnetic field
In the figure a rectangular loop of wire L = 15 cm long by h = 2 cm high, with a resistance of R = 0.8 ohms, moves with constant speed v = 5 m/s as shown. The moving loop is partially inside a rectangular region where there is a uniform magnetic field (gray area) and partially in a region where the magnetic field is negligibly small.

image: http://www.webassign.net/mi3/21.P.082-Fig20.92a.jpg

In the gray region, the magnetic field points into the page, and its magnitude is B = 1.7 tesla.

(c) What is the conventional current in the loop?

______A
(d) Which of the following are true? Check all that apply.
Because a current flows in the loop, there is a magnetic force on the loop.
The magnetic force only stretches the loop; the net magnetic force on the loop is zero.
The magnetic force on the loop is in the same direction as the velocity of the loop.

(e) What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the loop?
________N

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi laser123! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I'm stuck on C. I tried Fb=qvB then -Fb=qE then -Fb/q=E------->E*L=delta then deltaV/R=I

laser123 said:
I tried Fb=qvB then -Fb=qE then -Fb/q=E------->E*L=delta then deltaV/R=I

emf = Blv ? :wink:

I would like to provide the following response to the given content:

In this scenario, we are dealing with a rectangular loop of wire moving through a magnetic field. The loop has a length of 15 cm, a height of 2 cm, and a resistance of 0.8 ohms. The loop is moving at a constant speed of 5 m/s, with part of it inside a region with a uniform magnetic field and the other part in a region with a negligible magnetic field.

To find the conventional current in the loop, we can use the equation I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. In this case, the voltage can be calculated using the formula V = Bvl, where B is the magnetic field strength, v is the velocity of the loop, and l is the length of the part of the loop inside the magnetic field. Plugging in the given values, we get V = (1.7 T)(5 m/s)(0.15 m) = 1.275 V. Therefore, the conventional current in the loop is I = (1.275 V)/(0.8 ohms) = 1.594 A.

Moving on to the true statements, we can conclude that all three statements are correct. As there is a current flowing in the loop, there will be a magnetic force acting on the loop. The magnetic force will stretch the loop, but the net force on the loop will be zero, as the force acting on one side of the loop will be canceled out by the force acting on the opposite side. And finally, the magnetic force on the loop will be in the same direction as the velocity of the loop, as determined by the right-hand rule.

To calculate the magnitude of the magnetic force on the loop, we can use the equation F = BIl, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and l is the length of the part of the loop inside the magnetic field. Plugging in the values, we get F = (1.7 T)(1.594 A)(0.15 m) = 0.407 N. Therefore, the magnitude of the magnetic force on the loop is 0.407 N.

In conclusion, by considering the given information and using the appropriate equations, we can determine the conventional current in the loop, the true statements about the magnetic force

1. What is conventional current?

Conventional current is the flow of positive charges in a circuit. It was originally defined by Benjamin Franklin in the 18th century when electricity was thought to be a flow of positive charges from the positively charged to the negatively charged object.

2. How is conventional current different from electron flow?

Conventional current and electron flow are opposite in direction. Conventional current flows from positive to negative, while electron flow occurs from negative to positive. However, conventional current is still widely used in circuit analysis and design.

3. How is conventional current measured?

Conventional current is measured in amperes (A) using an ammeter. It is a measure of the amount of charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time.

4. What is the purpose of finding conventional current?

Finding conventional current is important in understanding and analyzing electrical circuits. It helps in identifying the direction of current flow, determining the amount of current in a circuit, and predicting the behavior of circuit components.

5. Can conventional current ever flow in the opposite direction?

No, conventional current always flows from positive to negative. However, in some cases, the direction of conventional current may appear to be reversed due to the direction of electron flow. This is commonly seen in circuits with diodes or transistors.