1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding cooridinates of a charge from vector quantities

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Well I'm stumped at how to do this problem, its probably ridiculously simple, but I just can't get it. I've answered the first part correctly, but the last 4 parts is where I'm having problems. I've attached a picture of the problem itself to clarify this as much as possible:

I'm simply using the equation 1/(4pi Epsilon naugt) * q/(r^2) and setting it equal to the quantity I'm given. For example the first one that I got right I did the following:

-225000= (-12*10^-9)/[(4pi(8.85*10^-12)*(r^2)]

Moved around I got:

Did the conversion to centimeters to get 2.19cm, added it to the original 2.0cm to get the 4.19cm. I've tried repeating this process with the 161000 and -80500 to get the wrong answer everytime according to webassign.

I get the sqrt(-6.702e-4) as my answer for the 161000. If you ignore the negative and take the square root its 2.6 cm. But then add the negative back in, its -2.6cm from 2 should be a -.4cm. There must be a flaw in my math or my work, but I'm just not sure where.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    Well, you've got to remember a couple of key points.

Coulomb's law will only give you the magnitude of the electric force/field, unless you do it vectorially.

So you have both the x and y components of the force, that should be enough to give you a magnitude.

Once you have this magnitude also remember, that the field will have the same magnitude in this particular case in a symmetrical spherical distribution. So you will have to take into account the direction of the force as well.

Think about that and give it a try.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?