1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Critical numbers

1. Jan 5, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    i was wondering if anyone could help me.
    The problem says find the critical numbers of f...
    f(x) = 2x^3 + 15x^2 - 36x +1

ok i found f ' .....6x^2 + 30x-36,
    Now how do i start on finding the critical numbers? Do i have to take the second derivative?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, exactly, is the definition of "critical number?" :-)

4. Jan 5, 2005 #3
    So should you take a second derivative?

5. Jan 5, 2005 #4
    Right....its not, so I can just set it equal to zero, and then solve for the variable, right?

6. Jan 5, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,your 'critical numbers' are solution of the equation
    [tex] f'(x)=0 [/tex]
    .BTW,your terminology is pretty weird.I use to call them "critical points",coz they pop up whenever i want to draw the graph of a function

Daniel.

7. Jan 5, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Right....its not, so I can just set it equal to zero, and then solve for the variable, right?"

Having determined first that there are no values of x for which the derivative does not exist, yes.

"BTW,your terminology is pretty weird.I use to call them "critical points",coz they pop up whenever i want to draw the graph of a function"

Actually, there is a difference. Given y= f(x), the "critical numbers" are the values of x at which f ' (x) does not exist or is equal to 0. The "critical points" are the points (x,y) with x a critical number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?