Finding Critical Numbers for a Trigonometric Function

• Thread starter cdhotfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, Tide tried to graph the function but it did not work because it was not an analytic function. He then tried using decimals and it still did not work. He finally found a shortcut to solving the problem with a freebie program called "deadline."
cdhotfire
Well, I got this equation [itex]f(x)=\frac{2\sin{2x}}{x}[/itex] [itex] [-\pi,\pi][/itex]
So I took the 1st derivative, [itex]f'(x)=\frac{2(2x\cos{2x} - \sin{2x})}{x^2}[/itex]
Then I set that equal to 0, and got [itex]0=2x\cos{2x} - \sin{2x}[/itex]
But I do not see how to get the critical numbers, I also tried to do double angle, but that just resulted in more pain.:mad:
Any help, would be appreciated.:smile:

edit: Can an mod please remove this post, seems I posted in the wrong section. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Either x = 0 or [itex]\tan 2x = 2x[/itex]. You won't solve the latter analytically.

Tide said:
Either x = 0 or [itex]\tan 2x = 2x[/itex]. You won't solve the latter analytically.

Thats what I got, but I couldn't figure out how to solve the tan 2x = 2x. How would I be able to solve it?

I tried to graph it, but the points that came out, did not work in the equation.:yuck:

So, do I go with x=0 only?

edit: my teacher said, I was going to use decimals on this problem.

edit: meh, the graph shows more crit points, it seems i need to solve the 2x=tan2x

Last edited:
As Tide said, tan(2x) = 2x isn't solvable analytically which is probably why your teacher told you to use decimals. Of course, due to the periodicy of the tangent there will be an infinite number of solutions but you only have to consider the ones in the interval given.

TD said:
As Tide said, tan(2x) = 2x isn't solvable analytically which is probably why your teacher told you to use decimals. Of course, due to the periodicy of the tangent there will be an infinite number of solutions but you only have to consider the ones in the interval given.

um, so start with .00000000000001, and work up from there?

Graphing will work but you're limited severely in the accuracy unless you have a good graphing program that will zoom in as deeply as you need to pick off the numbers.

A good Newton-Raphson algorithm will give you the numbers you need.

Or, you could take a shortcut and get a copy of a freebie program called "deadline" which will graph your functions AND give the numerical solutions to a high degree of accuracy! :)

Tide said:
Graphing will work but you're limited severely in the accuracy unless you have a good graphing program that will zoom in as deeply as you need to pick off the numbers.
A good Newton-Raphson algorithm will give you the numbers you need.
Or, you could take a shortcut and get a copy of a freebie program called "deadline" which will graph your functions AND give the numerical solutions to a high degree of accuracy! :)

hmmm, I've heard of the Newton-raphson algorithm, but we never learned it in class. ill check out that prog.:smile:

thank you.

Your function is

[tex] f(x)\rightarrow f(u)=4 \ \mbox{sinc} \ u [/tex]

with [itex] u\in [-2\pi,2\pi] [/itex].

Daniel.

What is the purpose of finding critical numbers?

The purpose of finding critical numbers is to determine the points on a function where the slope (derivative) is equal to zero or undefined. These points can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function, such as its maximum and minimum values, and can be used to solve optimization problems.

How do you find critical numbers?

To find critical numbers, you first need to take the derivative of the function. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values are the critical numbers. It is important to also check for critical numbers at points where the derivative is undefined (such as points where the function has a vertical tangent).

What is the importance of checking the second derivative when finding critical numbers?

Checking the second derivative is important because it helps to determine the nature of the critical numbers. If the second derivative is positive, the critical number is a minimum point. If the second derivative is negative, the critical number is a maximum point. And if the second derivative is zero, further analysis is needed to determine the behavior of the function at that point.

Can a function have more than one critical number?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical numbers. In fact, most functions have more than one critical number. This is because there are usually multiple points on a graph where the slope is equal to zero or undefined.

How do critical numbers relate to the graph of a function?

Critical numbers can provide important information about the graph of a function. They can help identify where the function has maximum and minimum values, as well as points of inflection. Critical numbers can also be used to find the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing.