Finding current across resistors

In summary: This is the current through the 21.3 ohm resistor.In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit problem to find the current in a 21.3 ohm resistor. The process involves combining resistors in series and parallel to get an equivalent resistance, and then using Ohm's law to calculate the current. There is some confusion about the arrangement of the resistors, but ultimately the answer is found to be 0.17 amps.
notmetalenough
I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to be doing this problem.

Consider the circuit shown in the figure below.

R = 21.3 ohms

http://east.ilrn.com/graphing/bca/user/appletImage?dbid=411814203

Find the current in the 21.3 ohm resistor.

I combined (serial) R with the 5.85 ohm resistor, getting an equivalent resistance of 27.15 ohms. Then combined the middle (parallel) 11.7 and the other 5.85, getting an equivalent resistance of 3.9 ohms. Then I combined the 3.9 and the 27.15 as parallel resistors leaving me with a 3.41 ohm resistor and an 11.7 ohm resistor in series. which I added together to get a total resistance of 15.11 ohms.

I then divided the Voltage by the resistance to get the amount of current, and worked backwards applying it to each series part and then dividing it among the parallel components.

I ended up getting something along the lines of 0.283 A through the 21.3 resistor. Did I miss something somewhere? Did I combine these correctly?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The middle 11.7 ohm, the bottom 5.85 ohm, plus the 27.15 ohm series are all in parallel in this arrangement. An inverse sum of this parallel is 3.41 ohms.

Chi Meson said:
The middle 11.7 ohm, the bottom 5.85 ohm, plus the 27.15 ohm series are all in parallel in this arrangement. An inverse sum of this parallel is 3.41 ohms.

Yeah, I had that in there. The parallel set is then in series with the top 11.7, and then I still can't get the right answer.

The 27.15 resistor is still in series with the 11.7 in the middle, not in parallel. It's better to combine the 3 in series so you have 3 parallel. The voltage over resistors in parallel are equal, so you can calculate the current over the equivalent resistor.

Romperstomper said:
The 27.15 resistor is still in series with the 11.7 in the middle, not in parallel. It's better to combine the 3 in series so you have 3 parallel. The voltage over resistors in parallel are equal, so you can calculate the current over the equivalent resistor.

No it's not. The current splits at the junction near the "a" dot. It rejoins at the junction near the "b" dot.

The total resistance of the circuit is 15.11 ohms, so the total current is 1.33 amps.

The voltage drop through the top 11.7 ohm resistor is 15.56 volts, which leaves 4.54 volts across the parallel. 4.54 volts across the 27.15 ohm series says that 0.17 amps flows through this branch.

1. How do you calculate the current flowing through a resistor?

The current flowing through a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R) (I = V/R). This means that the current is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. What is the unit of measure for current?

The unit of measure for current is the ampere (A), which is equivalent to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second.

3. How does the current change when resistors are connected in series?

When resistors are connected in series, the current is the same through each resistor. This is because the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. Therefore, the current is limited by the total resistance in the circuit.

4. Can the current be different in resistors connected in parallel?

Yes, the current can be different in resistors connected in parallel. In a parallel circuit, the total current is divided among the different branches based on the resistance of each branch. This means that the current in each resistor connected in parallel will be different.

5. How does the current affect the brightness of a light bulb in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout the circuit. This means that the current flowing through the light bulb is the same as the current flowing through the rest of the circuit. The brightness of the light bulb is directly proportional to the current, so a higher current will result in a brighter light bulb.