Finding current in a combined circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem where the values of R1, R2, and R3 are given, and the voltage VAB is 110.0 V. The person has previously found the equivalent resistance (Req) of the circuit to be 69.5 Ω. They have made multiple attempts to solve for the current in the AB section using the table method, but are unsure if they are using it correctly. They are allowed one more attempt and are seeking advice on their approach.
Jennifer_ea

Homework Statement

We are given the following diagram:
2u6ldp2.gif

And the values R1 = 13.0 Ω, R2 = 84.0 Ω, and R3 = 18.0 Ω
VAB = 110.0 V

I have previously solved for Req of 69.5 Ω

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found Req for the circuit to the right of A-B (992/11 Ω)

My first try I'm really not sure what I did but got 1 A. I must have made an error somewhere for that one.

For the second try I used the 1 A I got from... somewhere and found that the AB section is 48.2% of the load, and used 0.482 A for the answer. Basically I was flailing around and wasted my chances.

I only have one try left, and this is what I've done so far:

I searched around the forum and found information about this table method.
First I used the series way, having CD Req (R2) and leaving the two 13 Ω resistors (R1 and R3) closest to the beginning.
--| -R1- | --R2-- | --R3-- | T
--|-------|--------|--------|---------
E |2.246 | 7.511 | 2.246 | 12
I | 0.173 | 0.173 | 0.173 |
R| 13 ---| 43.5 -| 13 --- |

I then took the R2 section and split it into CD and Req for the circuit to the right and did it again for parallel
--| -CD- | --Req--- | T
--|---------|---------|--------
E |7.511 --| 7.511 -|
I | 0.0894 | 0.0839 | 0.173
R| --84 ---| 992/11 |

I think this gives me a current of 0.0894 A through CD, but I'm not confident I'm using these tables correctly. Am I allowed to combine like I have?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving this circuit problem. It seems like you have made some progress by using the table method. However, I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure that you are using the correct values for each resistor.

To answer your question about combining resistors in the table, yes, you are allowed to combine them if they are in series or in parallel. Just make sure to label the combined resistor with the appropriate equivalent value.

Also, I noticed that you have not used the given voltage value (VAB = 110.0 V) in your calculations. Remember that you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the current in each section of the circuit.

I would suggest going through your calculations again and checking for any errors. If you are still having trouble, you can try using a different method, such as the loop or node analysis method, to solve the circuit. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if needed.

Good luck with your final try!

1. How do you calculate the total current in a combined circuit?

The total current in a combined circuit is calculated by adding up the individual currents in each branch of the circuit. This can be done using Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the total current entering a node must equal the total current leaving the node.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In series circuits, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current is the same at all points in the circuit. In parallel circuits, the components are connected in separate branches, so the total current is divided between the branches.

3. How do you calculate the current in a specific branch of a combined circuit?

To calculate the current in a specific branch of a combined circuit, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R) or the current divider rule. The current divider rule states that the current in a branch is equal to the total current multiplied by the resistance of that branch, divided by the total resistance of the circuit.

4. What happens to the total current in a combined circuit if one component fails?

If one component fails in a combined circuit, the total current will decrease because there is now an open circuit in the circuit. This means that the current cannot flow through that component, so it will have to flow through the remaining components with higher resistance.

5. Can the total current in a combined circuit be greater than the current in any individual branch?

No, the total current in a combined circuit cannot be greater than the current in any individual branch. This is because the sum of the individual currents in each branch must equal the total current in the circuit, as stated by Kirchhoff's current law.