Finding current in circuits with inductors and capacitors

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution for a homework problem but is having difficulty. He has identified the frequency of the source and the impedances of the reactive components, and has determined an analysis method.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am practicing these types of problems, for example:
upload_2016-11-19_23-12-59.png

and I am asked to find i(t) in this case, and it is in steady state. I really need someone to walk me through these types of problems, how do I get them started.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really unsure of what to do for these types of problems. My best guess would be to replace the inductor with a short circuit, and then calculate the voltage. After replace the capacitor with an open circuit and hopefully be able to find something else, maybe the current? I just need some help with the first steps of these kind of problems

Physics news on Phys.org
As the voltage is time varying you won't be looking for a steady state solution.

However, if the voltage was D.C. And you were looking for a steady state solution what you describe is correct. Capacitors are open, inductors are shorted and you calculate from what's left. Of course, what's left is just a voltage across a resistor, so they would never give you a problem like this and ask for the steady state condition.

So, for relevant equations, what do you know that you think might apply here?

Cutter Ketch said:
So, for relevant equations, what do you know that you think might apply here?
Well, in the question they say it's steady state (The question isn't in English but I believe I am translating it right)
If it's not then I guess I have the equations:
i=Cdv/dt and v = 1/C integral i dt

Hi Cocoleia,

The term "steady state" is okay here. It assumes that the AC source has been in operation effectively forever so that any transients associated with switching it on have long since died away and the circuit is responding purely to the AC stimulation of the source.

There are a couple of basic approaches depending upon where you are in your course of study. The first is to write differential equations for the circuit and solve them for the desired quantities. The second (usually introduced a bit later) is more common and involves the use of phasor quantities. It's actually considerably easier than the differential equation approach in the long run. The phasor approach uses complex numbers to represent circuit values such as voltage, current, and impedance. Then the circuit can be solved using all the standard methods you'd apply to DC circuits containing only resistors. Of course all the math is done using complex arithmetic.

You'll have to tell us what approach you are expected to use.

gneill said:
Hi Cocoleia,

The term "steady state" is okay here. It assumes that the AC source has been in operation effectively forever so that any transients associated with switching it on have long since died away and the circuit is responding purely to the AC stimulation of the source.

There are a couple of basic approaches depending upon where you are in your course of study. The first is to write differential equations for the circuit and solve them for the desired quantities. The second (usually introduced a bit later) is more common and involves the use of phasor quantities. It's actually considerably easier than the differential equation approach in the long run. The phasor approach uses complex numbers to represent circuit values such as voltage, current, and impedance. Then the circuit can be solved using all the standard methods you'd apply to DC circuits containing only resistors. Of course all the math is done using complex arithmetic.

You'll have to tell us what approach you are expected to use.
I am expected to use the phasor approach

Okay, then you'll need to examine the circuit and determine the frequency of the source and the impedances of the reactive components. What do you find?

gneill said:
Okay, then you'll need to examine the circuit and determine the frequency of the source and the impedances of the reactive components. What do you find?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 442
Good. Pencil in those impedance values on your circuit diagram next to their components. Choose an analysis method and use those values as you would resistance values. Yes, the complex arithmetic will be tedious and a pain, so you might want to do the bulk of the equation solving symbolically and only plug in numbers at the end :wink:

gneill said:
Good. Pencil in those impedance values on your circuit diagram next to their components. Choose an analysis method and use those values as you would resistance values. Yes, the complex arithmetic will be tedious and a pain, so you might want to do the bulk of the equation solving symbolically and only plug in numbers at the end :wink:
I separated it into two loops, for the left loop I got the equation
4-2I1j+2I2j+I1=0
And for the right loop:
2I1j+6I2j+42=0

Check the signs in your first loop equation. The second equation looks okay to me.

gneill said:
Check the signs in your first loop equation. The second equation looks okay to me.
Ok, would it be
4+2I1j+2I2j+I1=0

I don't think so. How did you define the directions of the two mesh currents?

gneill said:
I don't think so. How did you define the directions of the two mesh currents?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 429
Ah. Okay, I apologize. I had initially thought that you'd defined them as clockwise currents. So your original loop 1 equation in post #10 is in fact okay. Sorry for wasting your time :oops:

gneill said:
Ah. Okay, I apologize. I had initially thought that you'd defined them as clockwise currents. So your original loop 1 equation in post #10 is in fact okay. Sorry for wasting your time :oops:
No, it's fine. I guess I should define them as being clockwise in the future it will be easier.
What do I do now that I have these equations ?

Cocoleia said:
No, it's fine. I guess I should define them as being clockwise in the future it will be easier.
What do I do now that I have these equations ?

I thought you'd choose clockwise in order to make ##i_2## match the direction of the defined inductor current. Otherwise the choice of direction doesn't matter much in the long run.

You'll have to solve the simultaneous equations to find the currents. In particular you'll need to find ##i_2##.

gneill said:
I thought you'd choose clockwise in order to make ##i_2## match the direction of the defined inductor current. Otherwise the choice of direction doesn't matter much in the long run.

You'll have to solve the simultaneous equations to find the currents. In particular you'll need to find ##i_2##.
And once I solve for I2, that will be my answer right ?

Cocoleia said:
And once I solve for I2, that will be my answer right ?
Yes, once you sort out the direction difference between of ##i_2## and the inductor current. Oh, and if they want the answer in the time domain (a cosine function of t) then you'll have to convert the phasor result accordingly.

gneill said:
Yes, once you sort out the direction difference between of ##i_2## and the inductor current. Oh, and if they want the answer in the time domain (a cosine function of t) then you'll have to convert the phasor result accordingly.
What do you mean by the direction difference?

Cocoleia said:
What do you mean by the direction difference?
Your ##i_2## is defined to be counterclockwise. It flows against the direction of ##i(t)## as defined on your circuit diagram.

gneill said:
Your ##i_2## is defined to be counterclockwise. It flows against the direction of ##i(t)## as defined on your circuit diagram.
Ok, so I should switch the equation for that loop to be:
-2I1j-62j-42
and then solve for I2, and convert if necessary and that will be the final answer ?

Cocoleia said:
Ok, so I should switch the equation for that loop to be:
-2I1j-62j-42
and then solve for I2, and convert if necessary and that will be the final answer ?
No need to go to all that work. Just negate your result to reverse the direction of the current.

1. What is the purpose of inductors and capacitors in a circuit?

Inductors and capacitors are used to store and release electrical energy in a circuit. Inductors store energy in the form of a magnetic field, while capacitors store energy in an electric field. They are often used in combination to regulate the flow of current and maintain a steady voltage in a circuit.

2. How do inductors and capacitors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Inductors resist changes in current flow, causing a delay in the buildup of current in a circuit. Capacitors, on the other hand, allow current to flow through them until they are fully charged, after which they block any further flow. This results in a phase shift between the current and voltage in the circuit.

3. How can you calculate the current in a circuit with inductors and capacitors?

To calculate the current in a circuit with inductors and capacitors, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and Kirchhoff's Laws. Additionally, you can use the impedance formula (Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2)) to take into account the effects of inductors and capacitors on the flow of current.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits in terms of inductors and capacitors?

In AC (alternating current) circuits, the flow of current changes direction periodically, causing inductors and capacitors to continuously store and release energy. In DC (direct current) circuits, the flow of current is in one direction, causing inductors and capacitors to only charge and discharge once.

5. How does the frequency of AC current affect the behavior of inductors and capacitors in a circuit?

The frequency of AC current affects the behavior of inductors and capacitors by changing the rate at which they store and release energy. Higher frequencies result in a shorter time for inductors and capacitors to reach full charge or discharge, while lower frequencies result in a longer time. This can impact the overall impedance and current flow in the circuit.