Finding currents in a circuit

You can use the total current and the individual resistances to calculate the current through the specific resistor.In summary, to find the current supplied by the battery in the given circuit, you need to combine the resistances in series and parallel to determine the total effective resistance. Then use the equation I=\frac{V}{R} to find the total current. To find the current through the 6\Omega resistor, you need to use the equations for current division in parallel circuits, using the total current and the individual resistances.
mblair90
RW-25-48.jpg

1. In the circuit of the figure, find the current supplied by the battery.

2. Find the current through the 6[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistor.

Attempt at a solution:

To find the total current supplied by the battery I tried:

[tex]\frac{6*4*2}{6+4+2}[/tex] = 4[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Then I did that resistance in series with the other:

4 + 1 = 5[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Then I figured to find the current I would use I=[tex]\frac{V}{R}[/tex] giving I=[tex]\frac{6}{5}[/tex]. But 6/5 is not the answer for part A apparently. And I have no idea how to get part B.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the total current in the circuit provided by the battery, you need the total resistance. Have you learned the equations for combining resistors in series/parallel? You use that to determine the total effective resistance for the parallel section if it was replaced by a single resistor in series. Then combine that value with the 1ohm one in series.

To find the current through a resistor in parallel, you need to know how current is split in parallel circuits.

1. How do I calculate the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R. This equation can also be rearranged to calculate voltage or resistance if current is known.

2. How do I find the direction of current in a circuit?

The direction of current in a circuit is determined by the direction of electron flow. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a power source towards the positive terminal. Therefore, the direction of current is opposite, flowing from the positive terminal towards the negative terminal.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) refer to the direction of current flow in a circuit. AC current periodically changes direction, while DC current flows in one direction only. Most household appliances use AC current, while batteries use DC current.

4. How does resistance affect current in a circuit?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material opposes the flow of electric current. As resistance increases, the current decreases. This is because more energy is required to push electrons through a material with higher resistance.

5. How can I measure current in a circuit?

Current is typically measured using a device called an ammeter. This can be a physical meter with a needle that moves to indicate the current, or a digital meter that displays the current as a numerical value. Ammeters are connected in series with the circuit, meaning they are placed in the path of the current flow.