Solve Currents Homework: Kirchhoff's Laws

• Thread starter Angie K.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, Kirchhoff's Laws and V=I were used to solve for the currents in the circuit. The Attempt at a Solution found three equations to figure out one of the currents. Loop 1 and Loop 2 had problems, but Loop 3 worked. I think that my "version" of KVL is the correct one if you ask Kirchhoff.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

P26_27.jpg

Determine the magnitudes of the currents through each resistor in the above circuit. The batteries have emfs of E1 = 9.2 V and E2 = 13.8 V, and the resistors have values of R1 = 11.8Ω, R2 = 29.3Ω, and R3 = 34.3Ω. Use positive numbers for currents to the right, and negative for currents to the left.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Laws (junction rule and loop rule)
V=I

The Attempt at a Solution

I found three equations to figure out one of the currents.
Loop 1 --> 9.2-29.3(I2)-11.8 (I1)=0
Loop 2 --> 29.3(I2)-13.8+34.3=0
Junction Rule --> (I1)+(I2)=(I3)

I chose to solve for I2 first and I got 23/59.6 A
for I1 I got -2.1070 A
for I I got 2.4929 A

Neither of those are correct and I am not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Angie K. said:
Junction Rule --> (I1)+(I2)=(I3)
Presumably that 34.3 in the Loop 2 equation is meant to be multiplied by I3?

I suspect that you're not being consistent with your assumed current directions. Given the signs of the terms in your equations it would appear that you are summing potential drops moving counter-clockwise around the loops. That would make your assumed current directions as depicted here:
Fig1.gif

Now, is your KCL equation (Junction rule) consistent with this?

Angie K. said:

You must draw two loopcurrents, for example a loop, L1, in upper square clock-wise and a loop, L2, in lower square counter-clock-wise:

Equations:

L1: E1 - L1*R1 - L1*R2 - L2*R2 = 0 ( Both L1 and L2 passes R2 )
L2: E2 - L2*R3 - L2*R2 - L1*R2 = 0 ( do. )

Now reduce the equations and solve L1 and L2.

You find I1, I2, I3 by (look at your drawing, and the drawing with red arrows in #2):

I1 = L1
I2 = L1+L2
I3 = L2

Last edited:
Hesch said:
You must draw two loopcurrents, for example a loop, L1, in upper square clock-wise and a loop, L2, in lower square counter-clock-wise:
I doubt that Angie K. has covered mesh current analysis yet. Most likely they are still using individual branch currents at this point, so bare-bones KVL and KCL with branch currents.

Likes Angie K.
gneill said:
I doubt that Angie K. has covered mesh current analysis yet. Most likely they are still using individual branch currents at this point, so bare-bones KVL and KCL with branch currents.

I don't know. I've tried to look at AK's profile: No information.

But I think that my "version" of KVL is the correct one if you ask Kirchhoff. :smile:

1. What are Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws are a set of rules used to analyze electrical circuits. They are named after German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff and consist of two main principles: Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.

2. How do Kirchhoff's Laws help in solving currents homework?

Kirchhoff's Laws provide a systematic approach for analyzing complex electrical circuits and determining the values of currents and voltages at different points. By applying these laws, students can solve for unknown variables in circuits and understand the behavior of the circuit as a whole.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law, also known as Kirchhoff's First Law, states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit must equal zero. In other words, the total current flowing into a junction must be equal to the total current flowing out of the junction.

4. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Second Law, states that the algebraic sum of voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the sum of voltage drops and rises in a loop must equal the total applied voltage in that loop.

5. How can I apply Kirchhoff's Laws to solve a circuit?

To apply Kirchhoff's Laws, you must first label all the components in the circuit and assign a direction and magnitude for each current and voltage. Then, you can set up equations based on Kirchhoff's Laws and solve for the unknown variables using algebraic methods. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram of the circuit and use a systematic approach, such as the loop or junction method, to solve the circuit step by step.