1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Curvature of Function

Tags:
  1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the first problem I am asked to find the curvature for y=cosx

We are studying vector value functions so I tried to rewrite this as a vector valued function so I can find the curvature. I just chose r(t)= <t,cost,0>. I found rI(t)=<1,-sint,0> and rII(t)=<0,-cost,0> and used the curvature formula of lv(t)xa(t)l/(lv(t)l^3 to find the curvature....but then I thought that if I had used a different vector valued function such as <t^3,cost^3,0> it would not work out the same so I am not sure how I should tackle this problem now.

Second Problem is similar...It is asking "at what point does y= e^x have the maximum curvature" so I tried doing a similar approach as I did in the previous problem (even though I suspect my method is faulty) and got imaginary roots when solving for a point which makes me think the maximum curvature might be as t->infinity but I'm not sure.

I'm having difficulty with the concept of curvature here I think, especially because the function is not already written as a vector valued function (maybe their is a way to deal with this without vector valued functions, I'm not sure.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Sorry kind of attempted solution in the 1st part...

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to promote the problem to a three dimensional vector problem. Look at equation 14) here. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Curvature.html

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    Oh, thanks! Didn't realize there was such a formula. We've just been studying vector valued functions so putting it into 3d and using that formula was all i knew

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted