Are 3D Printed Gears Viable for Professional Use?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears
In summary, Jack is looking for a custom gears maker in Europe, but is concerned about the quality of the results. He has experience making his own gears, but is wary of attempting gears or screws due to his lack of experience. He is interested in a gear hobbing machine or milling machine to make small quantities of gears. 3d printed gears may be viable, but he has not tried this yet.
Jarfi
I am looking for a very specific sort of gears. And I know they don't exist in any stock so I am convinced I need them custom made, googling gears really just gives me sloppy results. I'm not finding any professional-looking websites. They look sketchy or boring at best, definitely off-putting.

Is there any high-quality, easy to use and reliable website/corp/service in europe that makes custom racks and bevel gears on demand?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bookmarked to 'Resources" folder. Thanks, Jack.

Why not describe the gears and racks you want. While I prefer to buy stock gears, I cut my own gears when needed. I can usually find what I need.

Baluncore said:
I cut my own gears
Really? By hand or machine tools? That's not a facetious question. In my locksmithing career, I made most of my keys by hand with a file and eyeballing it. They had to be accurate to within .001". (Well, factory tolerance for a Schlage pin-tumbler unit is .002", but my pride wouldn't let me be that sloppy.) I was always far too timid to attempt gears or screws, though. (I did them on a lathe in shop class back in high-school, and even that was annoying.)

In a Barber Colman gear hobbing machine, or a milling machine for small quantities.

Oh, yeah... I think I saw that on eBay or something when I was snooping around for a cheap Unimat-type lathe. It looked pretty cool. I have no need of one though, because of my approach to design. I work with what I have, so I never need custom parts. (Well, that might change now that I've gotten into some seriously heavy-duty stuff, but I'm still trying to go "off-the-shelf".) I've decided not to bother with the lathe, though... I'm holding out for a 3D printer, which is actually cheaper.

Danger said:
Oh, yeah... I think I saw that on eBay or something when I was snooping around for a cheap Unimat-type lathe. It looked pretty cool. I have no need of one though, because of my approach to design. I work with what I have, so I never need custom parts. (Well, that might change now that I've gotten into some seriously heavy-duty stuff, but I'm still trying to go "off-the-shelf".) I've decided not to bother with the lathe, though... I'm holding out for a 3D printer, which is actually cheaper.
Are 3d printed gears viable? I've actually considered making some 3d printed gear for the prototype, but the gears are small, 20mm pitch diameter so I bailed on that one.

Baluncore said:
Why not describe the gears and racks you want. While I prefer to buy stock gears, I cut my own gears when needed. I can usually find what I need.
I'm afraid bevel gears in 1:8 ratio are rare. I googled something but the ratio is so big that the bigger one is close to being just a rack. Also the "rack/bevel" gear is not circular, but has around 62 degrees of a circle.

Jarfi said:
Are 3d printed gears viable?
Depends upon both the printer and the application. As far as I know, a "sintered-metal" unit can output parts that approach the toughness of tool steel. Something made by a regular plastic shaper such as a RepRap will handle anything that any other plastic gear would be used for, such as in a VCR (remember those?) or RC model or kitchen blender.

edit: Oh, one thing though... These things do not come out "clean". You have to file and/or sand them to get rid of aberrations.

1. How do I know if the custom gears I am ordering online will fit my specific machine?

The best way to ensure that the custom gears you are ordering online will fit your machine is to provide accurate measurements and specifications. Most online gear manufacturers will have a form or guide to help you determine the correct size and type of gear you need. It is important to double check your measurements and communicate clearly with the manufacturer to avoid any errors.

2. Can I order a single custom gear or do I have to order in bulk?

Many online gear manufacturers offer the option to order a single custom gear, but this may come at a higher cost compared to ordering in bulk. It is best to check with the manufacturer to see if they have any minimum order requirements or if they offer discounts for larger quantities.

3. How long does it take to receive my custom gears after placing an order?

The lead time for custom gears will vary depending on the manufacturer and the complexity of the gears being ordered. It is important to check with the manufacturer to get an estimated delivery date and factor in any potential delays. Some manufacturers may also offer rush or expedited shipping options for an additional cost.

4. What materials are available for custom gears?

Most online gear manufacturers will offer a variety of materials for custom gears, including steel, aluminum, brass, and plastic. The best material will depend on the application and requirements for the gear. It is important to communicate with the manufacturer about your specific needs to determine the best material for your custom gears.

5. Can I get a sample or prototype of my custom gear before placing a larger order?

Some online gear manufacturers may offer the option to order a sample or prototype of your custom gear before placing a larger order. This can be helpful in ensuring that the gear meets your requirements and fits properly. However, keep in mind that there may be additional costs and a longer lead time for a sample or prototype order.