Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding custom gears online

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    I am looking for a very specific sort of gears. And I know they don't exist in any stock so I am convinced I need them custom made, googling gears really just gives me sloppy results. I'm not finding any professional-looking websites. They look sketchy or boring at best, definitely off-putting.

Is there any high-quality, easy to use and reliable website/corp/service in europe that makes custom racks and bevel gears on demand?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
  5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Bookmarked to 'Resources" folder. Thanks, Jack.

6. Dec 7, 2014 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Why not describe the gears and racks you want. While I prefer to buy stock gears, I cut my own gears when needed. I can usually find what I need.

7. Dec 7, 2014 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Really? By hand or machine tools? That's not a facetious question. In my locksmithing career, I made most of my keys by hand with a file and eyeballing it. They had to be accurate to within .001". (Well, factory tolerance for a Schlage pin-tumbler unit is .002", but my pride wouldn't let me be that sloppy.) I was always far too timid to attempt gears or screws, though. (I did them on a lathe in shop class back in high-school, and even that was annoying.)

8. Dec 7, 2014 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

In a Barber Colman gear hobbing machine, or a milling machine for small quantities.

9. Dec 7, 2014 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Oh, yeah... I think I saw that on eBay or something when I was snooping around for a cheap Unimat-type lathe. It looked pretty cool. I have no need of one though, because of my approach to design. I work with what I have, so I never need custom parts. (Well, that might change now that I've gotten into some seriously heavy-duty stuff, but I'm still trying to go "off-the-shelf".) I've decided not to bother with the lathe, though... I'm holding out for a 3D printer, which is actually cheaper.

10. Dec 7, 2014 #9
    Are 3d printed gears viable? I've actually considered making some 3d printed gear for the prototype, but the gears are small, 20mm pitch diameter so I bailed on that one.

I'm afraid bevel gears in 1:8 ratio are rare. I googled something but the ratio is so big that the bigger one is close to being just a rack. Also the "rack/bevel" gear is not circular, but has around 62 degrees of a circle.

11. Dec 7, 2014 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Depends upon both the printer and the application. As far as I know, a "sintered-metal" unit can output parts that approach the toughness of tool steel. Something made by a regular plastic shaper such as a RepRap will handle anything that any other plastic gear would be used for, such as in a VCR (remember those?) or RC model or kitchen blender.

edit: Oh, one thing though... These things do not come out "clean". You have to file and/or sand them to get rid of aberrations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook