Finding DE for Two Springs and a Damper in Series

In summary: Then, to obtain the displacement xo(t) when the input xi(t) is a step displacement, you can use the step response formula xo(t) = Xo(s)/s.
Paul9
Hi all! I'm having a bit of trouble writing the differential equation that governs this mechanical system of two springs and a hydraulic damper in series. Since there is no mass present I believe the resulting DE will be a first order equation of the form Ax'(t) + x(t) = f(t), where f(t) is the forcing function. However, I can not figure out how to manipulate the equations from the FBDs into this form. Once I have the DE I do not anticipate any trouble solving it. Any and all help you can provide to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function, Xo(s)/Xi(s), for the mechanical system in the diagram below. The displacements xi and xo are measured from their respective equilibrium positions.

Obtain the displacement, xo(t), when the input xi(t) is a step displacement of magnitude xi occurring at t=0.

RdPwe.jpg

Homework Equations

Components in series require the force to be constant throughout the chain. Let's call this force "P".

The FBD at Junction I we will call Eq. 1:

P = k1*(xi-y)

FBD at Junction II we will call Eq. 2:

k1*(xi-y) = k2*(y - xo)

FBD at Junction III we will call Eq. 3:

k2*(y - xo) = b1*x'o

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are interested in the input and output, (xi and xo), my first thought is to eliminate the variable y by solving for it in Eq. 2 and substituting into Eq. 3.

y =[itex]\frac{k_{1}x_{i}+k_{2}x_{o}}{k_{1}+k_{2}}[/itex]

Subbing into Eq. 3:
[itex]k_{2}(\frac{k_{1}x_{i}+k_{2}x_{o}}{k_{1}+k_{2}}-x_{o}) = b*x'_{o}[/itex]

Dividing by [itex]k_{2}[/itex] and rearranging we get:

[itex]\frac{b}{k_{2}}x'_{o} + x_{o} = \frac{k_{1}x_{i}+k_{2}x_{o}}{k_{1}+k_{2}}[/itex]

Is this correct?

Again, thanks for any guidance you can give me :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is the correct equation. You have written the differential equation governing the system in the form Ax'(t) + x(t) = f(t), where A = b/k2 and f(t) = (k1*xi + k2*xo)/(k1 + k2). To obtain the transfer function of the system, you can use Laplace transforms on this equation to get Xo(s)/Xi(s).

What is the purpose of finding DE for two springs and a damper in series?

The purpose of finding the differential equation (DE) for two springs and a damper in series is to mathematically model the behavior of a mechanical system consisting of two springs and a damper connected in series. This DE can then be used to analyze the system and make predictions about its behavior.

What is the process for finding the DE for two springs and a damper in series?

The process for finding the DE for two springs and a damper in series involves applying Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. This will result in a second-order DE that can be solved to obtain the equation of motion for the system.

What are the key variables and parameters in the DE for two springs and a damper in series?

The key variables in the DE for two springs and a damper in series are the displacement and velocity of the mass, which represent the position and speed of the object in the system. The parameters include the masses, spring constants, and damping coefficient of the springs and damper, which determine the behavior of the system.

What are the boundary conditions for solving the DE for two springs and a damper in series?

The boundary conditions for solving the DE for two springs and a damper in series depend on the specific problem being analyzed. In most cases, the initial displacement and velocity of the mass are given, as well as the stiffness and damping properties of the springs and damper. These conditions will be used to solve the DE and obtain a solution that describes the behavior of the system.

What are some real-world applications of the DE for two springs and a damper in series?

The DE for two springs and a damper in series has many real-world applications, such as modeling the suspension system of a car, analyzing the behavior of a swinging pendulum, and studying the dynamics of a building during an earthquake. It can also be used in engineering design to optimize the performance of mechanical systems and ensure their stability and safety.