1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Delta

1. Aug 24, 2007 #1
    Find an open interval about a on which the inequality | f(x) - L | < E holds. Then give a value for D > 0 such that for all x satisfying 0 < | x - a | < D the inequality | f(x) - L | < E holds.

f(x) = x^2, L = 4, a = -2, E = .5

To solve I setup the inequality

Step 1: -.5 < x^2 - 4 < .5

Step 2: 3.5 < x^2 < 4.5

This is where I get stuck, need help with the algebra.

I got sqrt 3.5 < x < sqrt 4.5 & thought my interval for E would equal (sqrt 3.5, sqrt 4.5), but the book gives (-sqrt 4.5, -sqrt 3.5). I know if you take the sqrt, you have to take the positive & the negative of that number, but how do you know which to choose in this case & by doing this, does the inequality signs always reverse (like < to >)? Going to skip the rest of the problem, because I didn't have a problem solving the rest.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer is correct for a=+2, but the question says a=-2. Draw a graph of f(x)=x^2 and look around the points x=2 and x=-2. When you are taking a sqrt and you have choice of +/- you have to think about the problem.

4. Aug 25, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your problem is not to find bounds on x2 or x but on x- a which, here, is x+2.
    From -.5< x2-4< .5, factor to get -.5< (x-2)(x+2)< .5 and then think about dividing by x-2. With x "close" to -2, say between -1 and -3, what is the largest x-2 can be? What is the smallest?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?