1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Density of a Neutron

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hi, I did some calculations and I worked out the density of 1 neutron to be about 3.19887549*10^57 kg/m^3. However, I want to know if the method I used is correct.

Density = mass/volume, correct?

If this is true, then

Density = [mass of neutron]/[volume of neutron]

I found the volume of a neutron by modelling it as a sphere, with volume (4/3)pi*r^3. The calculation I ended up doing was;

(1.67492729*(10^27))/(4/3 * pi*((10^-10)/2)^3) = 3.19887549*10^57 kg/m^3

Where the 1.67492729 is the mass of a neutron (source: wikipedia).

Is my working correct?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

The method is correct, but where did you get r?

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    It really doesn't matter, since Warner Heisenberg already showed us that when the quantity of one non-commuting variable is known in the subatomic particle, the other variable of that particle becomes uncertain (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle).

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4
    I personally think the neutron's radius is unknown yet
    And since we always regard neutron as a point,its density is useless
    We need only its mass

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5
    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we need know also the neutron's energy (in electron-volts, of course), as well as its spin.

7. Feb 24, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

1.67492729 x 10^27 is most certainly not the mass of the neutron. Check again,.

No we don't. The neutron has a measured radius. Of course, it's boundary is not sharp, but you could say that about many things that have a published radius: a gold atom, the planet Jupiter, the asteroid belt.

8. Feb 25, 2010 #7

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10^-10 is more like the radius of an atom (where the electron likes to hang out). It's not the radius of the Neutron...but I suppose you could use that as an upper bound. (Nuclei are more on the order of 10^-15m in radius)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook