1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding derivative

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(i)f(x)/3=g(f)
    (ii)The tangent to f(x) at x=2 (point P(2,3)) has equation y=2.1x-1
    Find the value of f '(2)
    Find the valus of g(2)
    Find the value of g '(2)

2. Relevant equations

Chain rule, I guess?
    d/dx x [f(g(x))]=f'(g(x))g'(x) I think this is it?
    dy/dx=dy/du x du/dx

3. The attempt at a solution

What I want to know is that what does (ii)mean? does it mean line tangent to f(x) at x=2 is [ y=2.1x-1]? (in other words, the equation for slope of f(x) is y=2.1x-1 at x=2)
    Or does it mean f(x) has an equation y=2.1x-1 at x=2?
    So I had two solution to this prob.
    1. regarding that f '(x) is y=2.1x-1, plug the value 2 in the equation, so the answer is 3.2
    2. regarding that f(x) is y=2.1x-1 at x=2, f '(x) is 2.1. so the answer is 2.1
    Help me. How should I interpret the question?

As I did not understan whether f(x) is y=2.1x-1 or equation of slope is y=2.1x-1, I am stuck now. But if f(x) is y=2.1x-1, I can plug 2 in g(x) like this to solve problem a:
    2.1x-1/3=2.1(2)/3=1.4

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2
    (ii) means that the line that is tangent to the graph of f(x) at the point x=2 has the given equation. To solve, you need to understand the connection between tangent lines to graphs and the derivative.

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't this be f(x)/3 = g(f(x))? Also, what are you asked to find?
    It means the first possibility. The tangent line to the graph of y = f(x) has this equation: y = 2.1x -1.
    Yes, but what you want to say is that f(2) = 3.2.
    Since f(x)/3 = (1/3)f(x) = g(f(x)), can you describe what function g does to an input value? Knowing that will enable you to write a formula for g(x), and will enable you to do the 2nd part.
    Yes, this is what you want, but it's not "d/dx" times [f(g(x))]; it's d/dx of [f(g(x))]. You're taking the derivative, with respect to x, of [f(g(x))]. d/dx is not a number, so it makes no sense to talk about multiplying something by it.

Your chain rule formula should look like this: d/dx[f(g(x))]=f'(g(x))g'(x)

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4
    Thank you so much. I was very confused. So f'(2) is 3.2, right? For f'(x) at x=2 is 2.1x-1
    Also , I figured out the f(x). I fogot to enter coordinates in my post when x=2 :(2,3)
    I pluged this in equation y=ax+b. So 3=2a+b
    And the slope is given as 3.2
    f(x) has this equation at x=2: y=3.2x-3.4 So g(x) is y=3.2x-3.4/3
    Therefore, g(x)=1.06x-1.1
    I pugged the value 2 in g(x) and got 2.2 And I got g' (x)=-1.1
    And g(2)=1.02
    Am I doing right so far?
    And Thank you for your all the advices and help. I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. Oct 12, 2009 #5

Mark44

Right. I inadvertently omitted the '. I meant to say that f'(2) = 3.2.
    No, f'(x) at x = 2 (i.e., f'(2)) is 2.1*2 - 1 = 3.2, not 2.1x - 1.
    You're way off here. I assume you're talking about the problem where you need to find g(2) and g'(2), right?

You need to find the formula for g(x) from f(x)/3 = g(f(x)). My question again is what does g do to an input value? You need to answer this before attempting to find g(2) and g'(2).

7. Oct 12, 2009 #6
    I think I went in the wrong way with solving g(2) and g'(2). I reinterpreted the question. Could you check this for me?
    y=2.1x-1
    f' (x)=2.1
    If we integrate f' (x) with respect to x,
    f(x)=2.1x+C
    Plug coordinate(2,3)--> f(x)=2.1x-1.2 g(x)=0.7x-0.4
    So g(2) is 1. g' (x)=0.7
    And sorry, to bother you, I can't understand your question. I don't see any role of g. :(

8. Oct 12, 2009 #7

Mark44

This is what I was working with:
    It complicates things when you post more than one question in a post. Also, when the problem is spread out all over the post. Use the first section for "the problem statement, all variables and given/known data." No part of the problem statement should be in the attempt at a solution section.

So what exactly is the problem you're trying to solve?

9. Oct 12, 2009 #8
    I fixed my post :) In first section(problem statement) I put my problems that I am trying to solve.

10. Oct 12, 2009 #9

Mark44

Please answer the question I asked in post #5:
    You need to find the formula for g(x) from f(x)/3 = g(f(x)). My question again is what does g do to an input value? You need to answer this before attempting to find g(2) and g'(2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook