1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding derivatives

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    How would I find the derivative of (1-x^2)^-1/4?
    y = 1 + x - x^2 - x^4

I found the derivative to be 1 - 2x - 4x^3, but I need help solving it for 0. Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? Are you talking about two different functions to differentiate? Yes, the derivative of y= 1+ x- x^2- x^4 is 1- 2x- 4x^3. There is a "cubic formula" but it is very complicated. If 1- 2x- 4x^3 does not have rational roots, there is not going to be any simple solution. If there are rational roots then they must be [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 1/2[/itex], or [itex]\pm 1/4[/itex]. Do any of those satisfy this equation? If so you can divide by x- that number to reduce the rest to a quadratic.

To differentiate (1- x^2)^(-1/4), use the chain rule. The derivative of ( )^(-1/4) is (-1/4)( )^(-1/4-1)= (-1/4( )^(-5/4) times the derivative of what ever is in the ( ). Here, that is 1- x^2 which has derivative -2x. The derivative of (1- x^2)^(-1/4) is (-1/4)(1- x^2)^(-5/4)(-2x)= (1/2)x(1- x^2)^(-5/4).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook