Which points in the domain of f are differentiable and what is their derivative?

In summary: I'm a little uncomfortable with that, too, since it assumes a derivative exists over some ball about x', except for maybe at x' itself. So a better test would be one using the definition of derivative:##f'(x) \equiv lim_{Δx\to0} \frac {f(x+Δx) - f(x)}{Δx}##So if you can show##lim_{Δx\to0^+} \frac {f(x+Δx) - f(x)}{Δx} = lim_{Δx\to0^-} \frac {f(x+Δx) -
mk9898

Homework Statement

Let f be ##f:[0,\infty]\rightarrow \mathbb R
\\
f(x):=
\begin{cases}
e^{-x}sin(x), \ if \ \ x\in[2k\pi,(2k+1)\pi] for \ a \ k \in \mathbb N_0 \\
0 \ \ otherwise\\
\end{cases}##

Exercise: Determine all inner points of the domain where f is also differentiable and determine f' at these points.

The Attempt at a Solution

Idea:

Since we only need to look at inner differentiable points, we can look at points all points where f'(x) = 0. These are the only differentiable points because this is where the second case of f is a constant i.e. f'(x') = 0 for all x' in the second case. So we need to look for the points in the first case, where f'(x'')=0 and x'' is in these closed intervals for the first case. These are the differentiable inner points.

If I am on the right track, then I am wondering how I could find all of the points where that is valid for the first case of f.

Physics news on Phys.org
mk9898 said:

Homework Statement

Let f be ##f:[0,\infty]\rightarrow \mathbb R
\\
f(x):=
\begin{cases}
e^{-x}sin(x), \ if \ \ x\in[2k\pi,(2k+1)\pi] for \ a \ k \in \mathbb N_0 \\
0 \ \ otherwise\\
\end{cases}##

Exercise: Determine all inner points of the domain where f is also differentiable and determine f' at these points.

The Attempt at a Solution

Idea:

Since we only need to look at inner differentiable points, we can look at points all points where f'(x) = 0. These are the only differentiable points because this is where the second case of f is a constant i.e. f'(x') = 0 for all x' in the second case. So we need to look for the points in the first case, where f'(x'')=0 and x'' is in these closed intervals for the first case. These are the differentiable inner points.

If I am on the right track, then I am wondering how I could find all of the points where that is valid for the first case of f.

By "inner point" do you mean an interior point of the domain, i.e., not on a boundary?
I am not sure what you mean by ##N_0## either. I am assuming whole numbers.

Anyway, it appears that the function is defined for non-negative reals so a point x is interior if x > 0. All you need to do is figure out at what points ##lim_{x\to0^+}f'(x)\neq lim_{x\to0^-}f'(x)##. All other x > 0 are differentiable points.

Yes inner point = interior point. N_0 is natural numbers + 0.

I thought that all points that fulfill ##\lim_{x \to 0} f'(x) = 0## are the differentiable points?

Could you also explain, why I should only consider as x ->0 and not other values?

mk9898 said:
Could you also explain, why I should only consider as x ->0 and not other values?
Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. What I meant to say was, the non-differentiable points will be the values ##x'## such that
##lim_{x\to x'^+}f'(x)\neq lim_{x\to x'^-}f'(x)##.

tnich said:
Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. What I meant to say was, the non-differentiable points will be the values ##x'## such that
##lim_{x\to x'^+}f'(x)\neq lim_{x\to x'^-}f'(x)##.
I'm a little uncomfortable with that, too, since it assumes a derivative exists over some ball about x', except for maybe at x' itself. So a better test would be one using the definition of derivative:
##f'(x) \equiv lim_{Δx\to0} \frac {f(x+Δx) - f(x)}{Δx}##
So if you can show
##lim_{Δx\to0^+} \frac {f(x+Δx) - f(x)}{Δx} = lim_{Δx\to0^-} \frac {f(x+Δx) - f(x)}{Δx}##
then ##f(x)## is differentiable at ##x##.

1. What is a differentiable point?

A differentiable point is a point on a curve or surface where the tangent line or tangent plane can be defined. In other words, it is a point where the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope or rate of change.

2. How do you find differentiable points on a graph?

To find differentiable points on a graph, you can use the derivative of the function. The derivative represents the slope of a function at a given point. Differentiable points are found where the derivative is defined and continuous, which means there are no sharp corners or breaks in the graph.

3. Why are differentiable points important?

Differentiable points are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function. They can also be used to find maximum and minimum points, as well as to determine the behavior of a function in different regions.

4. Can a function have multiple differentiable points?

Yes, a function can have multiple differentiable points. In fact, most functions have multiple differentiable points. These points are usually found where there are changes in the behavior of the function, such as at the peak or valley of a curve.

5. How can you determine if a point is differentiable?

To determine if a point is differentiable, you can use the definition of differentiability, which states that a function is differentiable at a point if the derivative of the function exists at that point. You can also visually inspect the graph to see if the function is smooth and continuous at that point.