How do I Find the Dispersion Relation for a PDE?

In summary, the dispersion relation for the given conversation is w=k^2, which can be obtained by integrating the given expressions and setting the resulting integral equal to 0.
autobot.d
[itex]\imath\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}=0[/itex]

[itex]\left(x,t\right) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}A\left(k\right)e^{\imath\left(kx-wt\right)}dk[/itex]

[itex]u\left(x,0\right)=\delta\left(x\right) [/itex]

This is what I am working with. I am supposed to find the dispersion relation. So far I have gotten

[itex]A\left(k\right) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta\left(x\right)e^{-\imath\left(kx\right)}dx = \frac{1}{2\pi}[/itex]

plugging this into u(x,t) do I work with

[itex] u\left(x,t\right) =\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{\imath\left(kx-wt\right)}dk[/itex]

This is where I am stuck. I know w(k) is the dispersion relation. If I put in the pde do I just deal with

[itex] \imath \left(-\imath w\right) + \frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}} = w +\frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}}=0 [/itex]

not sure how to pull out the dispersion equation or if I am even going the right route. Any clues on how to proceed would be most appreciated. Solving this equation does not seem to get me to where I want to be. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I making this too hard on myself. I just saw a similar problem and according to this book I should just get

[itex] w-k^2=0\Rightarrow w=k^2 [/itex]

I figured this out I believe.

Last edited:
You have:
[tex]
i\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}dk
[/tex]
Write:
[tex]
u=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}A(k)e^{i(kx-\omega (k)t)}
[/tex]
So we just differentiate!
[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(-i\omega (k))A(k)e^{i(kx-\omega (k)t)}dk,\quad\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}A(k)(-k^{2})e^{i(kx-\omega (k)t)}dk
[/tex]
Insert the above into your equation to obtain the dispersion relation.

Is that dk a typo? Not sure what it is there for.

My professor said to just use

[itex] \phi\left(x,t\right)=A\left(k\right)e^\left(i\left(kx-wt\right)\right) [/itex]

to find the dispersion relation, therefore leaving me with

[itex] w=k^2 [/itex]

and that the integral is just the "sum" of all the solutions.

Thanks for the help!

You have to integrate over all possible wavenumbers k, so when do the substitution as I suggested you can get everything to one side as:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(\omega (k)-k^{2})A(k)e^{i(kx-\omega (k)t)}dk=0
[/tex]
The only way for this integral to be zero of if the integrand is zero and hence you have your dispersion relation.

Ahhhh...makes sense now. Thank you for the clarification.

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes how the energy or momentum of a wave changes with its wavelength or wave vector. It is used to study the properties of various physical systems, such as electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and quantum particles.

2. Why is finding the dispersion relation important?

The dispersion relation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of waves in different mediums and can provide valuable information about the physical properties of a system. It is also useful for predicting and analyzing the propagation of waves and how they interact with other particles or fields.

3. How is the dispersion relation determined experimentally?

The dispersion relation can be determined experimentally by measuring the wavelength, frequency, and velocity of a wave in a given medium. These values can then be used to calculate the dispersion relation and compare it to theoretical predictions.

4. What factors can affect the dispersion relation?

The dispersion relation can be affected by various factors such as the physical properties of the medium, the type of wave, and external influences such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the presence of obstacles or boundaries can also alter the dispersion relation.

5. Can the dispersion relation change over time?

Yes, the dispersion relation can change over time, especially in dynamic systems. For example, in plasma physics, the dispersion relation can change due to the interaction between charged particles and electromagnetic waves. In general, any changes in the properties of a system can lead to changes in the dispersion relation.