Finding Distance on an incline

• Thread starter Cantphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
A diagram is really necessary.In summary, the block with an initial speed of 3.7 m/s up a frictionless plane angled at 32 degrees will travel a distance of x, which can be calculated using the kinematic equations or conservation of energy. The acceleration can be determined using a free body diagram and the mass variable will cancel out in the final equation.
Cantphysics

Homework Statement

A block is given an initial speed of 3.7 m/s up a frictionless plane angled at 32 degrees. How far up the ramp will the block travel

Homework Equations

v^2 = v null^2 +2a delta x

The Attempt at a Solution

3.7^2 -0^2/(2*9.8) =x
my biggest issue is that i wasn't given a mass, and i can't find it using any of the formulas i know since i also don't have the force. I feel like I am using the wrong formula since I am not using the angle at all. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cantphysics,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

There are two approaches. One using the kinematic equations where you'll need to draw a free body diagram for the block on the ramp to determine the acceleration. You'll find that the mass variable will eventually cancel out so you don't need a value for it. The other approach is to use conservation of energy. Again the mass will cancel out.

Notice that the only data you have not been explicitly given is the acceleration. To find that, you will need to follow the procedure suggested gneill in post #2

1. How do you calculate the distance on an incline?

The distance on an incline can be calculated using the formula: distance = slope * length of incline. The slope can be determined by dividing the height of the incline by the length.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement on an incline?

Distance is the total length covered along the incline, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions. In other words, distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

3. Can you find the distance on an incline without knowing the slope?

Yes, you can find the distance on an incline without knowing the slope by using the Pythagorean theorem. The distance can be calculated as the square root of the sum of the square of the height and the square of the length of the incline.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the distance on an incline?

The angle of inclination affects the distance on an incline by changing the slope. A steeper angle of inclination will result in a higher slope, which in turn will result in a longer distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding distance on an incline?

Some real-life applications of finding distance on an incline include calculating the distance traveled by a car on a hill, determining the distance traveled by a person hiking on a mountain, and finding the distance covered by a ball rolling down an inclined plane.