1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance using sound

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    here is the question

Cliff Height. You are climbing in the High Sierra where you suddenly find yourself at the edge of a fog-shrouded cliff. To find the height of this cliff, you drop a rock from the top and 10.0 s later hear the sound of it hitting the ground at the foot of the cliff.

Ignoring air resistance, how high is the cliff if the speed of sound is 330 m/s

ok i did the problem and i just wanted at least to people to check my work.

h = .5gt2

time for sound to reach the person
    ts = h/vsound

since the total time is ten seconds then i can solve both equations for time
    time for rock to hit ground
    t = sqrt(2h/g)
    time for sound to travel up to the person
    t = h/vsound

then ttotal = sqrt(2h/g) + h/vsound

then i can solve for h.

I got -1086.9m and -14130.43m

can at least two people confirm that. The reason i am asking is because I am doing my homework online and i have one more try to get it right, so i want to make sure I got it right.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Check your arithmetic for the quadratic.

The answer is closer to 380 m - which you can check by substituting it into the expression you already had - ttotal = sqrt(2h/g) + h/vsound - it's correct.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?