1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Distance with friction

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    While sledding down a hill Jenny(40kg with the sled) reaches a top speed of 6m/s at the bottom. She then slides on flat ground to a stop. If the coefficient of friction between the sled and the ground is 0.04 how far will Jenny slide?

2. Relevant equations
    ([tex]\Delta[/tex]X=total distance)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found FN and got 392(FN=mg, or FN=(-40kg)(-9.8)=392) then found the total frictional force that was 15.68(FF=FNU, or FF=(392)(.04)=15.68) I'm having problems finding the acceleration, so i can actually find the distance, how can i take the info i have now and plug it into an equation to find acceleration? If i need a different equation than i have there, please show me, i'm confused on what to do next
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

This is a Kinetic Energy to work problem.

The KE of Jenny will be equal to the Force of friction * the distance to stop - i.e the work that friction will do to gobble up her kinetic energy and stop her.
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    So KE=(FF)([tex]\Delta[/tex]X) am i looking for kinetic energy? to get my distance? or what? i'm still a little confused because i only have FF=15.68 i still have two variables? or does KE equal something?
  5. Dec 18, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know the initial speed and mass so you can calculate the initial kinetic energy.

The friction force is her weight (NOT mass) times the coefficient of friction. The work done by friction is the product of that force and the unknown distance. Set equal to the initial kinetic energy and solve for the distance.
  6. Dec 18, 2008 #5
    oh ok i get it thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?