1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distribution function

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X have an Exp(1/2) distribution. Determine the distribution function of 1/2X. What kind of distribution does 1/2X have?

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't seem to do this quite properly. I thought of doing the integral from x to -inf of 1/2X dx but that doesn't seem right. I know what a exponential distribution is but nothing else from there.

Is it just something like X = exp(1/2) therefore 1/2X = exp(1/4) or something along those lines?

thanks for the help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does 1/2X mean (1/2)X or 1/(2X)? I guess I will assume the former. Parentheses do serve a purpose you know.

If Y = (1/2)X then P(Y ≤ x) = P((1/2)X ≤ x) = P(X ≤ 2x)

Does that help you?

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    im sorry, its (1/2)X.

Does this change anything?

also along those same lines, theres another part to the question which is exactly the same as above but its:

let X have a exp(lambda) distribution.....determine the distribution function of (lambda)X and what kind of distribution does this have?

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Does this change anything?"

No, I assumed that.

"also along those same lines, theres another part to the question which is exactly the same as above but its:

let X have a exp(lambda) distribution.....determine the distribution function of (lambda)X and what kind of distribution does this have?"

Did you understand my first reply. That should help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook