1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding dy/dx for a circle

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1

MPZ

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello
    I have this circle with the equation :

(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2
    I want to find dy/dx for it

2. Relevant equations
    (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am looking on the internet and it appears that I should use what is called "Implicit differentiation", can anyone use "Implicit differentiation for this circle please, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    Keep it simple and set a=b=0 . If you differentiate ##x^2+y^2 = r^2## you get ##2xdx+2ydy=0## so ##\displaystyle {{dy\over dx}= -{x\over y}}## which can be checked easily.

PS is this homework ?

4. Jul 4, 2017 #3

MPZ

this is not a homework, i am trying to use a mathematical software to draw images using mathematical equations :) Can you please tell me a way to not "keep it simple" since i need the values of a and b since I can't draw it that small!

5. Jul 4, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fair enough.
    The idea was to make it easier to understand, so that you would be able to complicate things on your own. Same differentiation on ##(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2 = r^2## gives you ##2(x-a)dx+2(y-b)dy=0## which is not very surprising if you see it as a translation of the origin to ##(a,b)##.

Can you elaborate? Give an example why you need ##dy\over dx## ?

6. Jul 4, 2017 #5

MPZ

are you a detective? LOOL. I need the derivative because from it I can get the slope of the normal at any point since I want to find the equation of multiple normal lines at different points to draw "the hair" of the thing I am drawing. No more questions please with this sort

7. Jul 4, 2017 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You hardly need calculus and derivatives for that. The normal lines to a circle are radius lines. Straight lines through the center.

8. Jul 4, 2017 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a sample written in Maple:
    > restart; with(plots);
    > circle := plot([cos(theta), sin(theta), theta = 0 .. 2*Pi], color = black, axes = none, thickness = 2):
    > hair := seq(plot([r*cos((1/3)*Pi+(1/36)*k*Pi), r*sin((1/3)*Pi+(1/36)*k*Pi), r = 1 .. 1.2], thickness = 2), k = 0 .. 12);
    > display({hair}, circle);
    HairyCircle.jpg
    Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted