Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding E field from potential

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    Two long conducting cylindrical shells are coaxial and have radii of 20 mm and 80 mm. The electric potential of the inner conductor, with respect to the outer conductor, is +600V.

In the situation provided, an electron is in circular motion around the inner cylinder in an orbit of 30mm radius. Find the speed of the electron in orbit.

-----------

So where I'm stuck is mostly just in finding the E field at said point

The electron has a force radially inward putting the electron in uniform circular motion.
    Therefore:

[tex]eE=\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{erE}{m}} [/tex]

So, I can't seem to figure out how to find the e field around the point r =30mm

What I tried to do was the following

[tex]V_{a}-V_{b}=\int \vec{E} d\vec{l} [/tex]

Then I rewrote it as

[tex]-\int dV =\int \vec{E} d\vec{l} [/tex]

So [tex]E = -\frac{dV}{dl} [/tex]

However I think all I've just done is derived the gradient, and I don't know how to use this without a function.

Give me a hint on how to continue my calculation or give me an easier way to calculate E

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Find the capacitor per unit length of the co-axial cable. Then find charge per unit length λ by using Q = C*V formula.
    The electric field between the coaxial cylinder is given by
    E = λ/(2*π*εο*r)

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3
    Well I can't possibly answer with that solution though. I know nothing about the length of the cylinder except that it is very long. To answer in terms of lamba would be an incomplete answer since I still have unknown variables.

5. Mar 11, 2010 #4
    Thank you rl.bhat

I took a look at the lamba again and figured out I should have simply just solved for lamba instead of q using my potential integration. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook