Finding E-field of 2 concentric clyinders

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E-field
In summary, the author is having trouble understanding the E field of two long, thin-walled concentric cylinders and asks for help.Gauss's Law states that the E field inside a conductor is zero, and if you have an expression for the E field of each cylinder, then by superposition, the E field at any point is the vector sum of all the individual E fields.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm having troubles figuring out the E-field of two long, charged, thin-walled, concentric clyinders. Its question #6 on the picutre. The image has my work, it seems my apporach was too simplistic, because the problem gives you 2 radi, but then gives u another 2 radi to find the E field at, so I totally didn't even use the first 2 radi they gave me. I also was wondering if someone could check #4 and #5 to see if i did them right. Thanks! http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/743/jkl9pg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The field is created by the cylinders with the first two radii, and they want you to find the E field strength at those two points a) and b) 's radii.

For a) remember what Gauss' Law says about E fields inside conductors.

Thanks for the reply. For a, when you said remember what Gauss's Law says about E-fields inside conductors...I know a charge inside a conductor is 0. Also I know if the charge is enclosed in a conductor it will be radially outward, but i don't see anywhere in the book that says about E-fields in a conductor. I found the magnitude and direction of the e-fields of the inner and outter clyinder. You said now they want me to find the E field strength at those two points. I'm confused on what equation I would use. I already used the E = [tex]\gamma[/tex]/(2PIEoR). Any hints on which one i should use? Thanks.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gausur.html#c2

The E field inside any closed conductor is zero.
I know a charge inside a conductor is 0.
This isn't correct and is probably what your mistaking with the correct statement above. The conducting surface will arrange its charges so that the net field inside the conductor is zero.

If you have an expression for the E field of each cylinder, then by superposition, the E field at any point is the vector sum of all the individual E fields.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field between two concentric cylinders?

The formula for calculating the electric field between two concentric cylinders is: E = λ / (2πε0r) where λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance between the two cylinders.

2. How does the electric field change as the distance between the cylinders decreases?

As the distance between the cylinders decreases, the electric field strength increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between the cylinders, so as the distance decreases, the field strength increases.

3. Can the electric field be negative between two concentric cylinders?

Yes, the electric field can be negative between two concentric cylinders. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the positive charge. The magnitude of the negative field will be the same as the magnitude of the positive field, but in the opposite direction.

4. How does the electric field between two concentric cylinders change when the linear charge density increases?

As the linear charge density increases, the electric field strength between two concentric cylinders also increases. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the linear charge density, so as the charge density increases, the field strength also increases.

5. Can the electric field between two concentric cylinders be zero?

Yes, the electric field between two concentric cylinders can be zero. This occurs when the linear charge density is zero, or when the distance between the cylinders is infinitely large. In both cases, there is no electric field present between the cylinders.